[tdwg-content] proposed term: dwc:verbatimScientificName

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu Dec 9 09:34:20 CET 2010

I feel somewhat confused by this. The actual situation looks
eminently simple to me:

1) In a database there sits a text string (in any of a bewildering
number of shapes). The straightforward thing would be to call
this something like

   NameInDatabase: Dalbergia baroni Baker
or
   VerbatimNameInDatabase: Dalbergia baroni Baker

2) There also is the scientific name, as governed by the relevant
nomenclatural Code. The straightforward thing would be to call this

   ScientificName: Dalbergia baronii

3) Finally, there is whatever intermediate result the algorithms that
are being used are converting the harvested text string into. I suppose
I would call this something like

   ParserResult: Dalbergia baroni
or
   ParserResultForScientificName: Dalbergia baroni

Obviously, it would be nice if algorithms did exist which could convert
a text string into a scientific name, but this still lies in the future.

In the mean time, I do not see why all the complexity needs to come in?

Paul van Rijckevorsel