[tdwg-content] canonical name for named hybrid & infragenericnames

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu Dec 9 09:39:25 CET 2010

Having personally written Rec. H.3A.1, I do not see that it offers
scope for being misread: the placement of the multiplication sign
is a matter of style (and insight). As background information, the
ICBN-preferred style is to put it directly in front of the name or
epithet (no space whatsoever: ×Agropogon littoralis): just keep
it nice together, so as to give computers no chance to mess it
up (after all, at a line break, a computer is likely to separate
these over more than one line).

Rec. H.3A Note 1 has been put in there (redundantly) for those who
are careless readers, just to make sure the matter could not
possibly be misunderstood by even the most whimsical. So, in a
formula, the parents are separated by: space, multiplication sign,
space;
     Agrostis stolonifera × Polypogon monspeliensis.

Paul van Rijckevorsel

* * *