[tdwg-content] Conflict between DarwinCore andDublinCoreusageof dcterms:type / basisOfRecord

John R. WIECZOREK tuco at berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 1 17:14:31 CET 2009

I can easily imagine similar conversations occurring every time
someone wants to share some new kind of information with Darwin Core.
It is a perfect example to illustrate the convenience of having a
controlled vocabulary that can respond to change without affecting the
published standard.

The recommended vocabulary is given at
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/wiki/RecordLevelTerms#basisOfRecord,
which is type 2 documentation in TDWG Standards nomenclature. If we
wanted to add a new term to that list, we could do so without invoking
a standards process. If we wanted to modify any of the circular
definitions already there, or add any missing ones, we could without
invoking a standards process. The alternative, defining type
vocabularies that machines can use to understand the intricacies of
our distinctions, would not be so easy to change, but would admittedly
offer much more stability as its reward.