[tdwg-content] Darwin Core review

Peter Desmet peter.desmet.cubc at gmail.com
Mon May 11 15:57:42 CEST 2009

Thanks Marküs,

Would it be possible for you to answer the two following questions?
- Is Darwin Core now officially in public review?
- If yes, how should people comment on DwC (see also emails from Gail
Kampmeier): through this mailing list or using the (better suited?)
issue tracker on Google Code, where more than 130 term pages are
missing for discussion (404 errors)?

 In other words, can I forward DwC for review to the Canadensys
community now or do you want us to wait?

Peter

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 8:43 AM, "Markus Döring (GBIF)"
<mdoering at gbif.org> wrote:
> thanks for this mail, peter!
> john is currently on fieldwork in argentina, so he is offline for lots of
> time, so please excuse his silence over long periods.
> He will be glad to see your comments I will imagine.
>
> cheers,
> Markus
>

> On May 7, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Peter Desmet wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> As Marküs informed me last time, I should post all my Darwin Core
>> remarks on this list.
>> Most of my remarks are about missing information in the complete
>> historical record (see below), except the following:
>>
>> 1. Great work!! I haven't had time to read the full documentation yet,
>> but I'm very glad everything is so well documented now. It answers a
>> lot of questions and it will greatly facilitate the adoption of the
>> standard. Over the last 2 years I have given several presentations
>> about Darwin Core to data publishers, but with all the current
>> improvements, it will be a blast to do this! Especially the use of
>> classes (instead of core and extentions) makes it much easier to grasp
>> conceptually.
>>
>> 2. Is Darwin Core now officially in public review? Will we receive an
>> invitation email to review (which I could forward)?
>>
>> 3. What is the reasoning behind changing all the term names from
>> UpperCamelCase to lowerCamelCase?
>>
>> 4. HABITAT
>> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#habitat
>>>
>>> I don't think I agree the best practice for this term is to use a
>>> controlled vocabulary. This field can contain plenty of text information
>>> that may be lost if one switches to a controlled vocabulary.
>>
>> 5. GEODETICDATUM
>> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#geodeticDatum
>>>
>>> So you need to use the same geodetic datum for the verbatim coordinates
>>> as for the decimal lat & long?
>>
>> 6. PREVIOUSIDENTIFICATIONS
>>
>> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#previousIdentifications-2009-04-24
>>>
>>> Under the current definition (and examples) of previousIdentifications,
>>> this list can include person names and dates. This is significantly
>>> different from the previous definition: "A list (concatenated and separated)
>>> of previous ScientificNames to which the sample was identified". In my
>>> opinion this old definition should be kept in the complete historical
>>> record, with a "replaced by" link.
>>

>> ------------ MISSING/INCORRECT INFORMATION ------------
>>
>> 1. The following historical classes cannot be found (anymore) in the
>> complete historical record. If added, they should have a "replaced by"
>> link and the new term should have a "replaces link" (except if new
>> term is part of Dublin Core).
>>
>>> Sample (now
>>> http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#Occurrence-2009-04-24)
>>> SamplingEvent (now