[tdwg-content] Darwin Core review

Gail Kampmeier gkamp at illinois.edu
Mon May 11 16:16:12 CEST 2009

At 9:57 AM -0400 5/11/09, Peter Desmet wrote:
>Thanks Marküs,
>
>Would it be possible for you to answer the two following questions?
>- Is Darwin Core now officially in public review?

No, it is not.  It has been through the initial
peer reivew, the authors have revised the
submission substantially, and as Review Manager I
am going through the revisions once more,
catching/commenting on more things that need to
be corrected before before making a
recommendation to the Executive Committee, who
then signs off on taking this for the official
public review.  Announcements for the public
review will be made in multiple venues to get the
widest possible feedback.  Then it will go to a
vote.

One of my early comments was that the statement
on all of the documents that this was now in
public review, is incorrect.

For better or worse I started to use this forum
(tdwg-content) for my comments because I knew
that John was in the field (and his leaving was
at a time when I had poor to non-existent email
access) and I had hoped that other members of the
team might be able to pick up some of the slack
once I got a chance to start looking again.  I
don't know how many people are on this list, whom
I've been "bothering" :-/.

>- If yes, how should people comment on DwC (see also emails from Gail
>Kampmeier): through this mailing list or using the (better suited?)
>issue tracker on Google Code, where more than 130 term pages are
>missing for discussion (404 errors)?
>
>  In other words, can I forward DwC for review to the Canadensys
>community now or do you want us to wait?

WAIT please.  This is not ready yet, but we're
getting there.  Most importantly, a system for
feedback needs to be established.  This is not
the traditional method of presenting a standard
(as a Word file, where you could use track
changes to comment or make wording suggestions),
but it is the way that this standard will be
used, and thus it was deemed the best way to
proceed.  We do need some way for others to
contribute (Markus, Tim, ...?) to the public
review, and my question is, is this forum
(tdwg-content) it?  I am assuming that this is
DwC-centric and does not apply to any other
standards.

Cheers!
Gail

> [...]
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#Taxon

>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#Taxon-2008-11-19

>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#Taxon-2009-01-23

>>>  -----
>>>  INFORMATIONWITHHELD
>>>  Some of the examples in
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#informationWithheld are better
>>>  placed in
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#dataGeneralizations
>>>  -----
>>>  RELATEDINFORMATION
>>>

>>>http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#RelatedInformation-2007-04-17

>  >> -----
>>>  CONDITION
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/index.htm#reproductiveCondition

>>>  -----
>>>  BEHAVIOR
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#behavior-2009-04-24

>>>  -----
>>>  CATALOGNUMBERNUMERIC
>>>

>>>http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#CatalogNumberNumeric-2003-06-17
>>>  Is now historical, but there is no "replaced by" link (probably to:
>>>

>>>http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#otherCatalogNumbers-2009-04-24)
>>>  -----
>>>  EVENTDATE
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#eventDate-2009-04-24

>>>  -----
>>>  EVENTTIME
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#eventTime-2009-04-24

>>>  -----
>>>  BINOMIAL
>>>  http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#binomial-2008-11-19

>>>  -----
>>>  RELATEDRESOURCETYPE
>>>

>>>http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#relatedResourceType-2009-04-24

>>>  -----
>>>  RELATEDBASISOFRECORD
>>>

>>>http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/history/index.htm#RelatedBasisOfRecord-2008-11-19

>>>  Regards,
>>>
>>>  Peter
>>>

>>>  --
>>>  Peter Desmet
>>>  Biodiversity Informatics Manager / Directeur de l'informatique de la
>>>  biodiversité
>>>  Montréal Biodiversity Centre / Centre sur la biodiversité de Montréal
>>>  Canadensys - www.canadensys.net
>>>
>>>  Institut de recherche en biologie végétale
>>>  Université de Montréal
>>>  4101 Rue Sherbrooke Est
>>>  Montréal, Québec, H1X2B2
>>>  Canada
>>>
>>>  Télé / Phone: 514-872-5249
>>>  Télécopie / Fax: 514-872-9406
>>>  Email: peter.desmet.cubc at gmail.com
>>>  <missing_discussion_pages.txt>
>>

>--
>Peter Desmet
>Biodiversity Informatics Manager / Directeur de l'informatique de la
>biodiversité
>Montréal Biodiversity Centre / Centre sur la biodiversité de Montréal
>Canadensys - www.canadensys.net
>
>Institut de recherche en biologie végétale

+++++++
The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best -
and therefore never scrutinize or question.  Stephen Jay Gould

Gail E. Kampmeier
Sr. Research Entomologist
Illinois Natural History Survey
Institute of Natural Resource Sustainability
Box 5 NSRC, MC-637
1101 W. Peabody, Urbana, IL 61801 USA
ph. 217-333-2824
fax 217-244-1707