Correct term for collating/summarizing/consolidating/inferring from below

Sauvenay Guillaume sauvenay at CCR.JUSSIEU.FR
Wed Mar 12 09:11:52 CET 2003

Kevin Thiele wrote:

> Consider this in the real world. If I have a number of descriptions of
> species, and from them I want to create a genus description, then I
> would /collate/ the genus description from the species descriptions.
> /Compile/ and /aggregate/ would also work, but I think collate works
> better.

couldn't we call that induction?
here is a definition :
"Induction is the process of inference employed in "inductive logic".
A mode of reasoning that starts with specific facts and concludes
general hypotheses or theories"

here, species descriptions are observed fact and genus description is
inducted

and this term is less general than infer

Guillaume Sauvenay

Université Pierre et Marie Curie
CEB informatique et Systématique
12 rue Cuvier, esc B, 2e et