so far...

Mauro J. Cavalcanti maurobio at ACD.UFRJ.BR
Wed Nov 24 10:28:54 CET 1999

Noel Cross wrote:

> I know nothing about XDF.  Mauro once pointed out this reference though:
>
>   White, R.J. & Allkin, R. 1992. A language for the definition and exchange
>   of biological data sets. Mathl. Comput. Modelling, Vol. 16, No. 6/7,
>   pp. 199-223.

This is the "official" publication for the XDF format, and is much less
detailed than the equivalent publication for NEXUS. I have however a few
detailed documents of the XDF specification, that were given to me by
Bob Allkin, some years ago. As far as I know, XDF has not been used
outside the scope of the ILDIS project, and I don't know if it is still
being maintained by White & Allkin (I will ask to Bob, as he is now
working here in Brazil). On peculiarity of this format is that it is
intended to be used for transfering data between relational databases,
as NEXUS is directed to the representation and transfer of phylogenetic
datasets.

I will be glad to send a copy of this documentation to someone in this
list who could distribute it to anyone interested in it (maybe I could
send it to Gregor?).

PS Just as an aside, do this informal (and intended to be fun) treatment
offends you (or anyone else in this list?).
> ..."Computer Taxonomists" -- ouch!

Best wishes,

--
+ - - - - - - - - - - - - Mauro J. Cavalcanti - - - - - - - - - - - - +
| Setor de Paleovertebrados, Departamento de Geologia e Paleontologia |