[tdwg-tag] [tdwg-content] canonicalScientificName

Peter Desmet peter.desmet at umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 15 22:28:40 CET 2012

Hi all,

Since most of the discussion happened on this tdwg-content and tdwg-tag
mailing lists already, can't we continue here? I created a link to both
from the issue page:
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=150#c2

I have been stuck in a meeting all day, while Tim Roberston wrote some
convincing arguments against creating a canonicalScientificName term (
http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=150#c1), as did Rich
Pyle (email March 14 17:20 GMT-10:00). I will need some time to think about
these. :-) I will try to write a coherent response tomorrow.

Peter

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 06:38, Tim Robertson [GBIF] <trobertson at gbif.org>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Now that a "formal" proposal for a new term has been added [1], should
> this discussion continue here or on the issue tracker?   To my knowledge
> that is the only forum that will be used for a new term when considering if
> it will get accepted.
>
> > When records doesn't fit in standard terms and you cannot afford losing
> > the information, the only solution is to add your own custom field.  I
> > am clearly happier when I find the term I need in the standard.
>
> I'm, not sure this not applies in this case Simon.  Is there really a
> scenario where you would put something in canonicalScientificName that you
> *could not* put in dwc:scientificName and would require a new term?
>
> > As canonicalScientificName is both useful enough and clearly defined I
>  vote for adding it to the standard.
>
> I've actually challenged this and believe it is not clearly defined [1],
> as it does not deal detail what to do when you are filling both, nor how a
> consumer would deal with apparently conflicting information.  While the
> same is true for dwc:genus etc, this one is *so close* to
> dwc:scientificName and in many cases could legitimately have the same
> content, guidelines are going to be needed for consistent use.  I fear a
> repeat of the consumption mess dealing with conflicting abcd:catalogNumber
> and abcd:catalogNumberNumeric unwittingly being used inconsistently across
> resources.
>
> >>  I suspect that the vast majority of names do not present
> >> these problems. Why do we let edge cases determine what we do?
>
> Rod, for the vast majority of names a couple of regular expressions
> suffice anyway - right?  We don't need a new term to deal with the easy
> stuff, and for the hard stuff this term doesn't help anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>

> [1 ]
> http://code.google.com/p/darwincore/issues/detail?id=150&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Project%20Reporter%20Summary%20Opened
>

> On Mar 15, 2012, at 10:22 AM, Simon Chagnoux wrote:
>
> > Sure, for prototypes and proof of concept things, edge cases can be left
> > apart. But some people and institutions also use Darwin Core for
> > exchanging data between big databases. It is a simple and powerful tool
> > for that, especially coupled with DwC/A.
> >
> > When records doesn't fit in standard terms and you cannot afford losing
> > the information, the only solution is to add your own custom field.  I
> > am clearly happier when I find the term I need in the standard.
> >
> > As canonicalScientificName is both useful enough and clearly defined I
> > vote for adding it to the standard.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Simon.
> >

> > Le 14/03/2012 20:17, Roderic Page a écrit :
> >> Apart from the fact that I can barely bring myself to care about
> >> plants ;) I suspect that the vast majority of names do not present
> [...]

Peter Desmet
Biodiversity Informatics Manager
Canadensys - www.canadensys.net

Université de Montréal Biodiversity Centre
4101 rue Sherbrooke est
Montreal, QC, H1X2B2
Canada

Phone: 514-343-6111 #82354