[tdwg-tag] time and space namespaces in Darwin Core

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 25 01:10:33 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM, Reed Beaman <rbeaman at ufl.edu> wrote:

> We are not helping the data providers if we suggest that they publish in a
> way that is not usable, re-usable to downstream research.  In fact, you/we
> are doing the data providers a disservice by suggesting that they do not
> need to do so.

I disagree for reasons set forth in the previous response to Peter DeVries.

>  If indeed we do, then the data brokers, whether GBIF, Manis, Ornis,
> Vertnet, etc, have the responsibility to ensure that the data can be
> transformed into standard reference systems.

I agree wholeheartedly.

> Given the investment already made in these data improvement tools, I can't
> quite see why these rather simple geospatial transformations aren't extant.

I agree again. I could do it properly with two months of free time. Maybe
this field season.

>  If we can't support the geo: namespace, then I'm starting to believe that
> we deserve the perception in various research/development communities that
> these data are not particularly useful.
>
> Verbatim geo-temporal information is fine, and DWC is honest with this
> representation.  Let's just make sure we accompany with standard reference
> systems resolved appropriately.  If you have a a lat/long coordinate pair
> associated with an unknown datum and an uncertainty measure of your
> pleasure, then you can also represent it as some WGS84 based feature.

Yes. Lets. Just as we use appropriate terms from Dublin Core in Darwin Core,
let's do so with geo:lat and geo:long for the sake of interoperability and
rigorously correct semantics.

The next steps toward adoption are explained under section 3.4 of the Darwin
Core Namespace Policy (
http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/namespace/index.htm#classesofchanges). I hereby
make a formal request of the Technical Architecture Group (TAG) to add these
two terms to the Darwin Core documentation. I have added the recommendation
to the Darwin Core issue tracker as Issue 82 (http://goo.gl/XhxM). It is now
up to the TAG to pursue a public request for comments if the request is
deemed to have merit.