[tdwg-tag] Are DOIs expensive?

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Nov 25 11:59:06 CET 2008

That is very interesting, Gregor. Apparently it is up to the
registration agency on how much they charge (and not the central DOI).
There are currently 8 agencies for different areas with the German TIB
issuing DOI prefixes for "registration of scientific primary and
secondary data" at the cost of 250€ per prefix (which allows you to
create as many DOIs as you like).

http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/registration_agencies.html#8.2
http://www.doi.org/registration_agencies.html

It would also be possible to setup a new registration agency for
biodiversity data if we feel this is more suited to our needs. There
are several costs associated with this though, an annual membership
fee ($35.000), a "franchise fee" for each newly registered name ($0.04/
doi) and a maintenance fee ($0.005/doi). So this is clearly much more
expensive and would be around 9 million dollars each year for 200
million occurrence records in GBIF.
http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/registration_agencies.html#8.8

So I guess this is what was investigated before and which is far too
expensive. But it should be worth consulting the TIB registry, 250€
per publisher doesnt sound bad at all.

Markus

PS: I am expressing my personal thoughts in this conversation and not
GBIFs official policy.