[tdwg-tag] Are DOIs expensive?

Donald.Hobern at csiro.au Donald.Hobern at csiro.au
Tue Nov 25 12:41:43 CET 2008

During the two GUID workshops there were really two reasons why DOIs seemed unworkable on a per-record basis.  One was the cost.  The other was the requirement for the central DOI administrator to have knowledge of every single DOI so it could be handled separately.  (This seemed a ridiculous overhead for the expected use case of assigning identifiers to records as they are added to a database.)

If the prefix-based model is indeed available, it could provide most of the expected benefits we hope to achieve through LSIDs.  However I suspect that we would end up having to do almost everything to support these DOIs that we have to do for LSIDs.  We would still need local resolvers to return the record corresponding to the post-prefix identifier, and we would still need to wrap the DOIs with an HTTP resolver to use them appropriately in the semantic web.  The big gain could be a central registry to handle relocating of services.

Donald

Donald Hobern, Director, Atlas of Living Australia
CSIRO Entomology, GPO Box 1700, Canberra, ACT 2601
Phone: (02) 62464352 Mobile: 0437990208
Email: Donald.Hobern at csiro.au