[tdwg-tapir] Tapir protocol - Harvest methods?

Roger Hyam (TDWG) rogerhyam at mac.com
Wed Apr 30 17:11:14 CEST 2008

Markus,

Martin and were just having a conversation along these lines.

The trouble is with the notion of whether a "record" has changed when
the internal database may not have the same notion of a record as the
wrapper software. i.e. the record visible to the outside is the result
of a query and the only way to know whether the data in a particular
query result row has changed is to run the query again.

Our thoughts were along the lines of doing a hash of the query results
so that you can just run a periodic exhaustive crawl of the data
locally and update your local cache with changes but I guess you could
just use a serialization of the object as the hash.

Your local cache would only need to contain three fields: object_id,
last_mod, object_serialization and could be very generic. An adaptor
to the client database would just have to run a  query to generate the
serialized objects. I wrote an implementation of OAI-PMH on top of a
table like this and it worked really easily. The problem is still the
adaptor to the client database. Some one has to do the mapping and
they could use TAPIR to do that...

At this point the coffee was drunk and we had to stop...

All the best with it,

Roger

Roger Hyam
Roger at BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
http://www.BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, UK
Tel: +44 131 552 7171 ext 3015
Fax: +44 131 248 2901
http://www.rbge.org.uk/

On 30 Apr 2008, at 15:38, Markus Döring wrote:

> [...]
>> do an inventory call where all the records began with "A"  then
>> with "B" etc.
>>
>> OAI-PMH mandates the notions of ids (indeed GUIDs) and modification
>> dates but obviously doesn't have a notion of search/query at all.
>>
>> My belief/opinion is that the primary purpose of many people
>> exposing data is to get it indexed (harvested) by GBIF.  "Just"
>> supplying data through TAPIR for this purpose does not make GBIFs
>> job easy or scalable. Providers should also supply GUIDs and
>> modification dates. If they supply the GUIDs and modification dates
>> the protocol is not so important - RSS or Atom anyone?
>>
>> I would go so far as saying that if data providers can't supply
>> these two pieces of information they shouldn't expose their data as
>> they are just polluting the global data pool - but that would
>> probably be me saying way too much just to be provocative!
>>
>> Hope my ranting is informative,
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Roger

>> Roger Hyam
>> Roger at BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
>> http://www.BiodiversityCollectionsIndex.org
>> Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh
>> 20A Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR, UK
>> Tel: +44 131 552 7171 ext 3015
>> Fax: +44 131 248 2901
>> http://www.rbge.org.uk/
>>

>> On 30 Apr 2008, at 13:58, Renato De Giovanni wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stan,
>>>
>>> Just a few comments about TAPIR and OAI-PMH.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if there's any core functionality offered by OAI-PMH
>>> that
>>> cannot be easily replicated with TAPIR. The main ingredients would
>>> be:
>>>
>>> * A short list of concepts, basically record identifier, record
>>> timestamp,
>>> set membership and deletion flag. These would be the main concepts
>>> associated with request parameters and filters.
>>> * An extra list of concepts (or perhaps only one wrapper concept
>>> for XML
>>> content) that would be used to return the complete record
>>> representation
>>> in responses.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, there are many functionalities in TAPIR that
>>> cannot be
>>> replicated in OAI-PMH since TAPIR is a generic search protocol. In
>>> some
>>> situations, and depending on how data providers are implemented,
>>> this can
>>> make TAPIR more efficient even in data harvesting scenarios. In
>>> OAI-PMH it
>>> may be necessary to send multiple requests to retrieve all data
>>> from a
>>> single record (in case there there are multiple metadata prefixes
>>> associated with the record). Also note that GBIF is using a name
>>> range
>>> query template for harvesting TAPIR providers - this approach has
>>> been
>>> created after years of experience and seems to give the best
>>> for them. I'm not sure if GBIF could use a similar strategy for an