[tdwg-tapir] Tapir protocol - Harvest methods?

Dave Vieglais vieglais at ku.edu
Wed Apr 30 17:29:32 CEST 2008

Hi Markus,
As you indicate, the provider side data cache, one that reflects
actual changes in content according to an agreed data model (and so
providing true date last modified), is crucial to efficient
propagation of content through the various networks.  Such a cache, if
implemented properly can also provide an effective basis for both push
and pull models of data transfer.  Indeed some data providers may
implement a mechanism where they allow other providers to push content
to their cache, thus enabling those with limited connectivity or
expertise for running a server to contribute to a network.  In such a
model, the only really important pieces of information (for
synchronization) are a unique identifier for each record and
timestamps indicating when the object was created and last modified.
Provenance metadata should also be captured unless the intended
outcome is an entirely anonymous network.   Such a push+pull approach
is being implemented for the fishnet network, and results thus far
have been satisfying.

regards,
  Dave V.