[tdwg-guid] Handle System considered not interoperable with standard WWW and SW applications

Markus Döring m.doering at bgbm.org
Wed Jun 6 17:22:03 CEST 2007

Donald, Ricardo,

I fully agree with you and Rod that we need to go forward as fast as
possible and dont need yet another discussion. If everyone else is
pleased with LSIDs I will keep silent, promised. LSIDs are better
than nothing. But if we would use URLs we could go a lot faster
'cause its so much easier. Especially now after all the lessons learned.

Still some comments below inline
Markus

On 06.06.2007, at 16:00, Ricardo Pereira wrote:

> Roderic Page wrote:
>> This all begs the question, is there anything LSIDs give us that
>> HTTP URIs don't?
> To me, the key difference between plain HTTP URIs and LSIDs with
> the proxy proposal is that LSIDs name objects with pure identifiers
> (the capital N in URN), while HTTP URIs mix names with locations.
>
> If we use the LSID specification with the proxy proposal, the
> identifier associated permanently with the object is the pure LSID
> in the form:
>
>    urn:lsid:authority.org:namespace:objectId
>
> which is completely independent of transfer protocol and thus may
> remain associated with the object for hundreds of years. If HTTP or
> DNS or whatever goes away, our grandchildren can still rebuild the
> links between ids and objects using whatever technologies are
> available in year 2207. More importantly, such a hypothetical new
> solution would likely be elegant because that particular URN was
> solely designed to name objects.
How does LSID resolution work without DNS? If the DNS-less LSID is
just about persistent global *naming* and not *resolution*, then we
can use UUIDs and be happy

> On the other hand, if we use HTTP URIs and that eventually goes
> away, we would need to come up with a hack to keep the ids
> associated with the objects. Also, HTTP URIs were originally
> designed to locate resources (the last T on HTTP), not to name
> them. So, in my opinion, using HTTP to name objects is a bit of a
> hack (i.e. not very elegant). You end up trying to dereference IDs
> that were not meant to be dereferenced, which only contribute to
> link rot.
>
> Another point is in relation to link rot. Although the article
> "Cool URIs Don't Change" provides very useful ideas about how to
> make HTTP URIs permanent (which I literally use on every link on
> the TDWG website), they don't completely solve the link rot
> problem. We still have to deal with reorganizations in our web
> servers and managing a stack of Apache rewrite rules is no fun.
> LSIDs on the other hand solve part of the problem, at least those
> associated with path portion of the HTTP URI. LSIDs however present
> the same persistence problems associated with DNS. To reduce that
> problem, TDWG offers DNS entries of the form *.lsid.tdwg.org for
> LSID authorities in our domain.

I can't see any big difference between LSID based redirection and
http redirection a la PURL. What makes LSIDs easier to maintain for
the final provider?