[tdwg-guid] Embedding LSID links within Publications

Gregor Hagedorn g.m.hagedorn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 01:20:05 CET 2007

I am very much in favor of putting readable IDs into the paper
version. Yes, for long term considerations, but also for short term
considerations. I believe anything that is not there will not exist
for the taxonomists and be considered only unintelligible techie
stuff. And therefore certainly not worth thinking about in the context
of their own work.

With respect to how to handle the presentation I think taking a look
at how Genbank/EMBL sequence accessions are handled may be helpful.
Not every occurrence of "Chromis" in the text needs the ID associated
(it may have a hidden hyperlink though), but at one point it needs to
be clarified. In molecular phylogenetics it is common to do this a
single time in a table in material and methods. However, in the
discussion an additional accession number may just be cited in
brackets.

In short: allow any normal publishing practice, consider it as a
special form of reference (like doi or ISBN) and observe the normal
publishing practices of citing, especially avoid redundancies. Rich, I
think you are too much thinking about general rules how to always
handle it - but publishing practice for good reasons does almost the
opposite (once and never again...).

Gregor