[tdwg-guid] Embedding LSID links within Publications

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Sat Dec 1 01:48:13 CET 2007

Thanks, Gregor -- this is very helpful, and I pretty much agree.

> In short: allow any normal publishing practice, consider it
> as a special form of reference (like doi or ISBN) and observe
> the normal publishing practices of citing, especially avoid
> redundancies. Rich, I think you are too much thinking about
> general rules how to always handle it - but publishing
> practice for good reasons does almost the opposite (once and
> never again...).

Fair enough....and I'm sure I am over-thinking this.  However, I still see
problems with your proposed approached, in that I do not want big,
cumbersome LSIDs (even once) interrupting the flow of prose.

I think I still favor the idea of a superscript indicator that can be easily
ignored, easily clicked, and easily used to refer to a printed (not hidden)
set of hyperlinks following the "Literature Cited" section.  I think this
strikes a resonable compromise/balance between how things are done in the
publishing world, and how *I* think things *should* be done in the
publishing world....

:-)

Rich