[Tdwg-guid] IODP paleontology meeting and LSID

Robert Huber rhuber at wdc-mare.org
Tue Sep 19 14:58:32 CEST 2006

Dear all,

I was invited to attend the IODP Paleontology meeting on taxonomic
dictionaries and control lists end of september in Houston, USA.
The IODP (Integrated Ocean Drilling Program)is one of the most
important international earth science projects. http://iodp.org.

IODP is currently evaluating new technologies for its data and
information management. And one hot topic for its paleontology
and biostratigraphy work is ..having control on taxonomic names..
I think LSIDs could be very interseting for IODP if they could use
some kind of a 'reverse lookup', resolving LSIDs for names.

I was asked to give a short presentation on GUIDS/LSID and I
thought maybe one of you already has some interesting material to
show? Any help is welcome!

Btw. are there are any exciting news since summer? I am especially
interested in:
-how is the RDF/TCS thing evolving -> standardised metadata?
-how  have the nomenclators been proceeding? I heard e.g. about the
ZooBank prototype any LSID plans for that yet?
-DarwinCore and GBIF.. is there a way to resolve LSID from names?

best regards,
Robert

Dr. Robert Huber
WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de, www.wdc-mare.org
Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
University Bremen
Leobener Strasse
POP 330 440
28359 Bremen
Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org, robert.huber at stratigraphy.net