[Tdwg-guid] IODP paleontology meeting and LSID

Roger Hyam roger at tdwg.org
Tue Sep 19 15:24:32 CEST 2006

Hi Robert,

I think some of this falls into my camp so I will answer what I can. I
am sure others will set me right.

The IPNI and IF have both demonstrated LSID resolvers and I believe
Zoobank are keen to move in that direction.

The RDF vocabulary of TCS used by IPNI and IF is pretty stable but needs
to be integrated into the core TDWG ontology which will no doubt be
discussed at TDWG in St Louis in October. I hope I can demonstrate a
system for bringing unity here.

I certainly believe that TDWG should be able to provide the taxonomic
and nomenclatural semantics for IODP.

The big question is a service going from <SomeNameString> to <List of
LSIDs of Possible Names> to <List of Possible Taxa>. Because of cross
nomenclatural code homonyms (your problem name string could be an
animal, vegetable or virus) this is not solved by individual
nomenclators alone there needs to be an indexing service to provide the
look up table. uBio or GBIF look like good candidates for supplying this
kind of services but there is no reason why there couldn't be many -
depending on who has the best algorithm this week.

Anyone else want to add to this?

Roger

Robert Huber wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I was invited to attend the IODP Paleontology meeting on taxonomic
> dictionaries and control lists end of september in Houston, USA.
> The IODP (Integrated Ocean Drilling Program)is one of the most
> important international earth science projects. http://iodp.org.
>
> IODP is currently evaluating new technologies for its data and
> information management. And one hot topic for its paleontology
> and biostratigraphy work is ..having control on taxonomic names..
> I think LSIDs could be very interseting for IODP if they could use
> some kind of a 'reverse lookup', resolving LSIDs for names.
>
> I was asked to give a short presentation on GUIDS/LSID and I
> thought maybe one of you already has some interesting material to
> show? Any help is welcome!
>
> Btw. are there are any exciting news since summer? I am especially
> interested in:
> -how is the RDF/TCS thing evolving -> standardised metadata?
> -how  have the nomenclators been proceeding? I heard e.g. about the
> ZooBank prototype any LSID plans for that yet?
> -DarwinCore and GBIF.. is there a way to resolve LSID from names?
>
> best regards,
> Robert
>

> Dr. Robert Huber
> WDC-MARE / PANGAEA - www.pangaea.de, www.wdc-mare.org
> Stratigraphy.net - www.stratigraphy.net
> MARUM - Institute for Marine Environmental Sciences (location)
> University Bremen
> Leobener Strasse
> POP 330 440
> 28359 Bremen
> Phone ++49 421 218-65593, Fax ++49 421 218-65505
> e-mail rhuber at wdc-mare.org, robert.huber at stratigraphy.net

 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect
 Taxonomic Databases Working Group