[Tdwg-tag] Why we should not use LSID

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira ricardo at tdwg.org
Wed May 3 14:06:00 CEST 2006

    Folks,

    I think that this problem could be solved by using an LSID HTTP
proxy, such as the (Biopathways LSID Resolver
<http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/> -
http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/), to allow clients that are only
aware of HTTP to resolve LSIDs without any additional software.

    Such a proxy accepts HTTP GET/POST requests following some
well-known rules (such as these:
http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/weblinks.shtml
<http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/weblinks.shtml>), resolves the
LSID passed as a parameter, and returns either the data or metadata
associated with the LSID to the original client. Here is one example:

http://lsid.biopathways.org/resolver/metadata/urn:lsid:lsid.tdwg.gbif.org:standards:63

    The result is very similar, if not equivalent, to what you would
have with PURL, without having to give up on the benefits of LSIDs.

    The problem then would be to choose whether to use the pure LSIDs or
the proxy link. One idea would be to use the proxy links to identify
ontology classes and predicates. Also, LSID aware clients could extract
the LSID from the the proxy link with one additional well known rule.

    Besides the proxy I mentioned for LSID, there are well developed
HTTP proxies for both DOI and ARK as well. There is really good
documentation about the DOI bridge on the DOI site.

    Regards,

Ricardo