[Tdwg-tag] Why we should not use LSID

Kevin Richards richardsk at landcareresearch.co.nz
Wed May 3 13:44:32 CEST 2006

Roger

I agree that PURLs are a perfectly good option for our GUID needs, and that they would probably be one of the easier technologies to get "working".

Like you I really had to think again to work out the benefits of LSIDs over PURLs, expecially considering the disadvantage you have mentioned.

Some of the benefits of LSIDs include:
- clearly separate data and metadata services (as you have mentioned)
- separation from domain names - as far as I understand, the PURL still requires domain name resolution of the actual ID url to obtain the resolution server address - this ties you to a particular url format
- LSID assigning service can be managed by provider organisation ("ownership" of data and IDs is often high on a data provider's requirements list)
- LSIDs provide a "standard" technology for resolving and serving up data objects - ie every provider will have the LSID authority services running on their server that will serve up data and metadata (+ other services if required) in the same way, for every provider
- related to the previous point, a standard mechanism for third party annotations of LSIDs is provided with every LSID server implementation
- same URN LSID can be used for resolution of http, ftp, soap and tcp protocols (unsure how PURLs handle this?)
...other cool stuff, I'm sure, that I cant think of right now - too late at night

Probably best to avoid LSIDs for RDF class identfiers etc, but do the semantic web tools you are talking about have no way of recognising different url resolution types - I'm wondering if you can "plug in" lsid resolution into these tools?

Kevin

>>> Roger Hyam <roger at tdwg.org> 05/03/06 10:29 PM >>>
Hi Rod,

 From the meeting report - which I am struggling to get back to - these
two bullet points sum it up I think

·         There are certain things for which LSIDs are not appropriate.
It would be legal to use them for RDF resource identifiers for
controlled vocabularies and XML Schema locations BUT we would have to
extend existing software libraries to do this which is not desirable.

·         *Recommendation:* LSIDs are not used for controlled
vocabularies, ontologies or XML Schema locations. LSIDs should be used
to refer to instances.

Basically it was felt that if we used LSIDs for things like rdfs:Class
definitions then any library that went off to fetch the definitions
automatically would have to be extended so that it understood LSID
resolution. On the other hand it was felt that use of LSIDs for real
resources (things we are actually describing like specimens and people)
was fine. Once an ontology is loaded then it is all fine though so to an
extent this may be a false problem.

We spent a long time talking about what is part of the ontology and what
isn't and went round in circles (please lets not do it again). Basically
class and property descriptions should be URL type URIs but instance
URIs can be LSIDs. If you want to define the genus /Rhododendron/ as
being an OWL DL class retrieved remotely then you should probably give
it a URL. If you want to define it as a data item then use a LSID.

I think Gregor's worries (correct me if I am wrong Gregor) are that in
SDD (possibly our whole domain) many things could be considered classes
and properties. i.e. Things you want your reasoner to use in the
reasoning rather than simply reason about. In this case it may be better
to have URLs for everything.

There is a niggling doubt (in my mind) that we may come across 'cool'
tools and libraries that assume that *all *resource URIs are URLs and
that we would not be able to use them or would need to extend them if we
use LSIDs. Imagine a semantic web browser where you click on a node and
it fetches the associated resource to expand itself.

I do occasionally struggle to see the advantages of LSIDs as GUIDs over
just conventions for use of URLs but these may be matters of personal
faith.  Another bullet point in the report says:

·         *Recommendation: *GUIDs Group should issue a document clearly
justifying adoption of GUID technology. The advantages need to be
clearly explained.

I'll try and get this report out ASAP but it looks very similar to the
wiki page here:

http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/TAG/TagMeeting1ReportDraft

Obviously would be grateful for your thoughts.

Roger

-------------------------------------
 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect
 Taxonomic Databases Working Group
-------------------------------------
 http://www.tdwg.org
 roger at tdwg.org
 +44 1578 722782

WARNING: This email and any attachments may be confidential and/or
privileged. They are intended for the addressee only and are not to be read,
used, copied or disseminated by anyone receiving them in error.  If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return email and

The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and do not
necessarily reflect the official views of Landcare Research.

Landcare Research
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz