Index Fungorum LSID server

Bob Morris morris.bob at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 26 17:17:05 CEST 2006

There are some restrictions on the use of inverseOf if one desires to remain
within OWL-DL. I don't understand them.

1. Is there someone reading this who does, and can explain whether they are
germaine to this exchange?
2. Is it determined that an infrastructure constrained to OWL-DL is or is
not important? [If it is so determined, could someone please point me at the
discussion record?]

Bob

On 4/25/06, Roderic Page <r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the point of inverseOf that we
> don't have to include the link, if follows from the property? Hence, if
> I say specimen x is a part of a taxon concept TC, then it follows that
> TC includes x, but I don't need an actual triple saying that.
>
> Hence, surely the point of ontologies is to free us from making the
> direct link? I've only advocated making the link within metadata for a
> single provider so we can do something without relying on ontologies at
> this stage.
>
> In terms of the cost of adding triples, I don't think it will  be too
> large overall. For example if we have reciprocal links between
> specimens and taxa within a source database (i.e., actual triples), I
> suspect it won't add too much -- some taxa will have lots of specimens,
> but most will have very few (a power law kind of thing)..
>
> A good example of this is NCBI, where each sequence may have a link to
> the PubMed record for the paper in which they were published, and each
> PubMed record may list all the sequences published in that paper.
>
> Given that the community hasn't actually built much yet, I'm not
> worried about "splits". Let's make some stuff and see what happens --
> "suck it and see" is my maxim.
>
> Rod
>

> On 25 Apr 2006, at 09:35, Roger Hyam wrote:
>
> > Hi Rod,
> >
> > (Here I have switched from using reciprocal - which is confusing to
> > using the OWL terminology)
> >
> > I think my point is where do we draw the line in developing workable
> > ontologies. What rules do we have as to formally defined relationships?
> > Some properties should have inverseOf
> > ( http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-owl-guide-20040210/#inverseOf)
> > properties
> > and some properties should not - but how do we decide which is which?
> >
> > Unless we have rules to apply then every time we want to create a new
> > relationship the community will split over whether the inverseOf
> > property should be defined or not.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what the rules should be?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Roger
> >

> > Roderic Page wrote:

> >> What about the relationship? From my perspective, it's useful to know
> >> that the original name for Eutypella ventricosa is Valsa ventricosa,
> >> and this is what I model using the predicate "hasBasionym". So it's a
> >> relationship, not a property of an object.

> >> No, we don't want reciprocal record for everything, but there are
> >> cases where it is useful, especially WITHIN a single source. For
> >> example, if I have access to all of IndexFungorum then I can run a
> >> query that discovers all the names for which Valsa ventricosa is the
> >> basionym. But if I don't have a copy of IndexFungorum, and I'm relying
> >> on the metadata attached to a LSID, then if the metadata for Valsa
> >> ventricosa has "isBasionnymOf" tags connecting it to all names for
> [...]

------=_Part_15297_12692761.1146086225328

There are some restrictions on the use of inverseOf if one desires to remain within OWL-DL. I don't understand them.<br><br>1. Is there someone reading this who does, and can explain whether they are germaine to this exchange?

On 4/25/06, <b class="gmail_sendername">Roderic Page</b> &lt;<a href="mailto:r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk</a>&gt; wrote:</span><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

&gt;&gt;&gt; object of the name (i.e. we have an isTypeSpecimenOf property or<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; similar). But logically where does this stop? We can't add reciprocal<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; properties to the object definition for everything that anyone may

&gt;&gt;&gt; Ultimately if a client wants to know everything about a object that a<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; data source has it will have to ask the &quot;Give me all the things that<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; refer to X&quot; question. Either that or we have to guarantee that all
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

</a><br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://www.tdwg.org</a><br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;
r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
</a><br>&gt;&gt; web:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html</a><br>&gt;&gt; reprints:
http://systematicbiology.org</a><br>&gt;&gt; Search for taxon names:
r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
</a><br>web:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<a href="http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/rod.html</a><br>reprints: <a href="http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/pubs.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://taxonomy.zoology.gla.ac.uk/rod/pubs.html
</a><br>Search for taxon names: <a href="http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/%7Erpage/portal/" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">
http://darwin.zoology.gla.ac.uk/~rpage/portal/</a><br>Find out what we know about a species: <a href="http://ispecies.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://ispecies.org</a><br>
Rod's rants on phyloinformatics: <a href="http://iphylo.blogspot.com" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://iphylo.blogspot.com
http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/charity/london-marathon