GUIDs for Taxon Names and Taxon Concepts

Roger Hyam roger at TDWG.ORG
Mon Nov 14 23:19:03 CET 2005

Hi Rich,

If I call the GUID for 8 I presume I get back a data object of some kind
that contains:

   1. A literature ref field that contains a string representation of a
      citation of Pyle 2005 and or a GUID that points off to get more
      information about the publication.
   2. A  GUID that points to the data object containing data about Xea
      ba (Smith 1995) Jones 2000 - as depicted here (by Pyle 2005) -
      i.e. the GUID for 9
   3. A GUID that points to the data object containing stuff about Aus
      bus Smith 1995 - as depicted here (by Pyle 2005) - i.e. the GUID
      for 10.
   4. A GUID that points to the data object containing stuff about Aus
      cus Smith 1995 - as depicted here (by Pyle 2005) - i.e. the GUID
      for 11.

This data structure is beginning to look a lot like a TaxonConcept to me
but then I see the world through TCS glasses :)  Is this wrong?

What would I get back that would be materially different to this?

All the best,

Roger

--

-------------------------------------
 Roger Hyam
 roger at tdwg.org
 +44 1578 722782
-------------------------------------

--------------010402000409070103080601

<head>
</head>
Hi Rich,<br>
If I call the GUID for 8 I presume I get back a data object of some
kind that contains:<br>
<ol>
  <li>A literature ref field that contains a string representation of a
citation of Pyle 2005 and or a GUID that points off to get more
information about the publication.<br>
  </li>
  <li>A&nbsp; GUID that points to the data object containing data about Xea
ba (Smith 1995) Jones 2000 - as depicted here (by Pyle 2005) - i.e. the
GUID for 9<br>
  </li>
  <li>A GUID that points to the data object containing stuff about Aus
bus Smith 1995 - as depicted here (by Pyle 2005) - i.e. the GUID for 10.<br>
  </li>
  <li>A GUID that points to the data object containing stuff about Aus
cus Smith 1995 - as depicted here (by Pyle 2005) - i.e. the GUID for 11.<br>
  </li>
</ol>
This data structure is beginning to look a lot like a TaxonConcept to
me but then I see the world through TCS glasses :)&nbsp; Is this wrong? <br>
What would I get back that would be materially different to this?<br>
All the best,<br>
Roger<br>
Richard Pyle wrote:
 cite="midIMEKKFHEGHHDDDHKIOJEGEHMDHAA.deepreef at bishopmuseum.org"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Thanks, Yde -- I should have included the junior synonym example in my
original list, so I'm glad you raised it.

Let me slightly modify your list (I've stripped the name authorships to make
it less cluttered -- we assume no homonyms here -- and "ba" is the feminine
form of "bus"):

1. Aus, as it appears in Smith 1995
2. Aus bus, as it appears in Smith 1995
3. Aus cus, as it appears in Smith 1995
4. Xea, as it appears in Jones 2000
5. Xea ba, as it appears in Jones 2000
6. Aus, as it appears in Pyle 2005
7. Xea, as it appears in Pyle 2005
8. Xea bus, as it appears in Pyle 2005
9.   = Xea ba (Smith 1995) Jones 2000
10.  = Aus bus Smith 1995
11.  = Aus cus Smith 1995

The last 3 are "as they appear in Pyle 2005").

Among the three implied junior synonyms (#s 9, 10 &amp; 11), there are several
[...]

  </pre>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--

 Roger Hyam
 Technical Architect