[tdwg-humboldt] ALA data team feedback

Kate Ingenloff kathryn.ingenloff at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 10:07:42 UTC 2023

Hi All,

I've only had a chance to take a quick look at the responses provided by
Peggy and the ALA team, but thus far the feedback seems great! It's really
good to have these very clear and precise thoughts. Thank you, Peggy, to
you and your crew. :)

I will start going through this in greater detail and add to the GH. I will
link the relevant GH issue to each issue in the document so the progress is
obvious (and can be corrected if others feel that there's a more
appropriate route for addressing the comment).

@Yi Ming Gan <ymgan at naturalsciences.be>, I'm not seeing your comments on
the document.

Cheers,
Kate

On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 1:24 AM Dmitry Schigel <dschigel at gbif.org> wrote:

> Sounds reasonable, and we can / should treat ALA and iDIV feedback as
> public review issues (now with new DL). It would probably help Steve and
> others if the ALA report is indeed sliced into GH issues that can be
> handled one by one. @Kate Ingenloff <kingenloff at gbif.org> – unless
> someone else volunteers, could you perhaps take care of this? This would
> not only improve issue management, but also archive suggestions and
> concerns in the same space for the public review process.
>

> I am back to office on Tuesday and hope to meet with Kate soon after to
> see how we can further help the process.
>

> I had very rich discussion at TDWG and GBIF days here in Australia, and it
> is important that any potential incompatibilities with ALA are resolved, as
> ALA is one of our best chances to champion Humboldt here down under, and
> same for iDIV in continental Europe. It actually sounds like we might be
> able to process both reports and maybe complete the examples in November…
> Also GBIF work programme 2024 is just approved, giving us green light on
> focusing on ecology data streams = Humboldt, and ratification is an
> enabling factor GBIF to coordinate the rollout.
>

> As promised, I will also speak to Joe about the guide-finishing contract
> and possible budget for that in a bout week from now.
>

> @Robert Guralnick <robgur at gmail.com>, GBIF Science committee is
> supportive of the guide + paper approach, we should coordinate how
> completion of the guide (hopefully c/o GBIFS) and Humboldt paper 2.0 (which
> I understood you agreed to lead-write) work together (overlaps, lengths,
> links, timelines etc).
>

> The list of target conferences to market the extension (+guide, + paper)
> is also becoming clearer for 2024 and 2025.
>

> BR
>
> Dmitry

Kate Ingenloff, PhD
Pronouns: she/her(s)
(+45) 51 44 13 23

"When one tugs at a single thread in nature, he finds it attached to the
rest of the world." ~John Muir