[tdwg-humboldt] Humboldt Extension Public Review preparations

John Wieczorek tuco at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 23 16:45:31 UTC 2023

Hello all,

After today's final pre-public review meeting, I modified the definitions
of the four new bycatch-related terms to reflect what we agreed on plus
reworked the wording to be consistent with other terms in the proposal.
Their final form can be found in the bycatch document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/184BjPL-Kd9lv_x39sVGNxFKFlb4hY_Xsli5_dmnBMqs/edit?usp=sharing>.
I will wait for final authorization from our fearless leader (Yani) before
putting these plus the modified definition and comments for
taxonCompletenessReported (below for reference) into the change documents
to pass to Steve, from which the public review versions of documents will
be constructed.

Cheers,

John

*taxonCompletenessReported*
*Definition*: Statement about whether the taxonomic completeness of the
dwc:Event was assessed.
*Comments*: This term is meant to alert users that the inventory was
conducted in such a way that all of the target taxa (the combination of
eco:targetTaxonomicScope and eco:excludedTaxonomicScope) should have been
detectable if they were present during the dwc:Event. This term can provide
data users with a qualitative measure of how comprehensively an area has
been surveyed, which assists in interpreting species populations, areas of
occupancy, inferring species absences, etc. This term is only relevant if
the dwc:Event used restricted search or open search methods. If taxonomic
completeness was assessed, the methods used or an explanation of the basis
of the completeness should be stated in eco: taxonCompletenessProtocols.
Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary.
*Examples*: `not reported`; `reported complete`; `reported incomplete`