[tdwg-content] RDF list of terms as organized in the dwc-assistant?

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Nov 28 23:30:45 CET 2016

Hi Matt,

If you actually want to make a SPARQL query, all of the Darwin Core
terms are loaded into the triplestore that's queriable at the endpoint
http://rdf.library.vanderbilt.edu/sparql?view

You can run the query

PREFIX dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/>
PREFIX dwc: <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/>
PREFIX dwcattributes: <http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/attributes/>

SELECT DISTINCT ?term WHERE {
?term dwcattributes:organizedInClass dwc:Occurrence.
?term dcterms:hasVersion ?version.
}

and substitute any Darwin Core class in the place of dwc:Occurrrence.
If you want to use the results in an application, you can make the
request to the endpoint via HTTP GET like:

http://rdf.library.vanderbilt.edu/sparql?query=PREFIX+dcterms%3A+%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Fpurl.org%2Fdc%2Fterms%2F%3E%0D%0APREFIX+dwc%3A+%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Frs.tdwg.org%2Fdwc%2Fterms%2F%3E%0D%0APREFIX+dwcattributes%3A+%3Chttp%3A%2F%2Frs.tdwg.org%2Fdwc%2Fterms%2Fattributes%2F%3E%0D%0A%0D%0ASELECT+DISTINCT+%3Fterm+WHERE+%7B%0D%0A%3Fterm+dwcattributes%3AorganizedInClass+dwc%3AOrganism.%0D%0A%3Fterm+dcterms%3AhasVersion+%3Fversion.%0D%0A%7D%0D%0A%0D%0A

where the query string is URLencoded.  The only SPARQL response format
currently supported at that endpoint is XML (Accept:
application/sparql-results+xml), although hopefully in the near future
it will also support JSON.  I hope that if we get to the point where the
draft documentation specification [1] is ratified, TDWG itself can
provide a stable endpoint where these kinds of queries can be made.

I'm not sure that this query will actually do what you want, since the
terms in the various dropdowns in the DwC-A Assistant aren't strictly
those whose dwcattributes:organizedInClass properties have values that
are the dropdown category.  Also, the various extensions aren't there.
But your question is a kind of use case that TDWG should think about
supporting for "enhancements" [2] to the basic DwC term vocabulary.

Steve

[1] https://github.com/tdwg/vocab/blob/master/documentation-specification.md
[2] see Section 4 (Vocabulary enhancements) of
https://github.com/tdwg/vocab/blob/master/maintenance-specification.md