[tdwg-content] Proposed new Darwin Core environmental terms from ENVO

Tim Robertson [GBIF] trobertson at gbif.org
Thu Oct 3 15:00:56 CEST 2013

>> I suppose if people want to be unambiguous, they should just use URIs.
>
> Exactly that.

I know this discussion is mainly focussing on RDF and such like, but the DwC-A format was designed to make vocabularies a little more accessible for people using spreadsheets / databases etc.

In a data file, you might have a CSV with:

1, Puma concolor, male

And in the meta.xml file, you could have the following, which declares the vocabulary used for the :

  <core encoding="utf-8" fieldsTerminatedBy="," linesTerminatedBy="\n" rowType="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/Occurrence">
    <files>
      <location>occurrence.txt</location>
    </files>
    <id index="0" />
    <field index="1" term="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/occurrenceID"/><archive xmlns="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/text/" metadata="eml.xml">
    <field index="2" term="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/scientificName"/>
    <field index="3" term="http://rs.tdwg.org/dwc/terms/sex" vocabulary="http://rs.gbif.org/vocabulary/gbif/sex.xml"/>
  </core>

This is a primitive example, but keeping content and mapping somewhat separate helps keeps this accessible for wider audiences without having to rewrite content every time standards, namespaces, versions etc all change.  The data will simply get outdated quickly as I strongly suspect most content is immutable once written once, most data mappings are immutable once created once and most application developers do not use RDF aware technologies (why I originally went for XML and not RDF in DwC-A meta definition despite DwC itself being in RDF).

I complete agree that we need to provide the means to declare (strongly versioned) vocabularies, but I tend to suspect that they should be separated from the content for the most part for better reusability - that was the rationale when I introduced it to the DwC-A.  Perhaps it is time to consider a review of the DwC-A meta format though, to play better with (e.g.) SKOS, but I don't think I understand the versioning aspects there - everything seems in constant flux to me.

Cheers,
Tim