[tdwg-content] GBIF Seeks a Knowledge Systems Engineer

David Remsen (GBIF) dremsen at gbif.org
Tue May 24 09:23:48 CEST 2011

Dear TDWG-content-ers

GBIF is seeking a committed and proactive Knowledge Systems Engineer to develop a framework for creating and managing controlled vocabularies, thesauri and other knowledge organisation systems.    Interested candidates should review the document,   “Recommendations for the Use of Knowledge Organisation Systems by GBIF” at http://links.gbif.org/gbif_kos_whitepaper_v1.pdf for a fuller understanding of our requirements.

Interested candidates should have knowledge of RDF, OWL, SKOS, the OBO Foundry, Open Ontology Repository principles, the TDWG ontologies and the broad Life Sciences ontology landscape, as well as an understanding of other well-known, generic vocabularies such as Dublin Core, FOAF, etc.  Knowledge of principles of the semantic web and Linked Open Data are desirable.  Practical experience with existing KOS systems such as the OBO Foundry, BioPortal, Collaborative Protégé, Pool Party or other systems would be highly beneficial.   A key asset is  the capacity to identify, communicate and facilitate the practical and pragmatic application of KOS principles that facilitate the uptake and use of GBIF-mediated data and infrastructure.

Please circulate this posting to relevant lists and parties.  This post is an exciting career-enhancing opportunity to work in a multicultural environment for an international organisation at the cutting edge of scientific developments in biodiversity informatics.  The post is for two years with a possibility it may be extended.  Residence in Denmark is preferred.

Deadline for applications is 15 June.  I'm happy to answer any questions about the posting.  More information can be found on our website at
http://www.gbif.org/communications/news-and-events/showsingle/article/gbif-seeks-a-knowledge-systems-engineer/

Best,

David Remsen
David Remsen, Senior Programme Officer
Electronic Catalog of Names of Known Organisms
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321472   Fax: +45-35321480
Mobile +45 28751472
Skype: dremsen