[tdwg-content] Updated Example of TDWG BioBlitz Records showing the utility of dwc_area

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Fri May 13 22:59:44 CEST 2011

One of the advantages of the dwc_area:*Area* encoding, is that it creates
one urn for each combination of lat, long, radius.

In practice, this is similar to one urn for each GPS reading.

An alternative way to get the same list would be a query that includes
geo:lat, geo:long and radius.

Most people want to think of this as one thing, a point with a
PointRadiusSpatialFit- type error measure.

I created this demonstration query that finds the BioBlitz observations with
geo coordinates and sorts the resulting data by Observer.

It also allows you to pick and display different *Areas* from the list of
returned records. *Note I have only 708 occurrence records with GPS
coordinates.

* I still include the geo:lat and geo:long since most toolkits do not
understand the proposed ietf.org proposed geo standard.

Screenshots of the Pivot Views and a link for the query itself can be found
at this bit.ly bundle http://bit.ly/m6c5hI

Here is the query

REFIX txn: <http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#>
PREFIX rdf: <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#>
PREFIX dcterms: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/>
PREFIX foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>
PREFIX cc: <http://creativecommons.org/ns#>
PREFIX time: <http://www.w3.org/2006/time#>
PREFIX geo: <http://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos#>

select distinct ?s, ?o as ?image, ?class, ?order, ?family, ?sciname, ?cname,
?observer, ?lat, ?long, ?area where {
 ?s rdf:type txn:Occurrence.
 ?s dcterms:isPartOf <
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#TDWG2010_BioBlitz>.