[tdwg-content] Data Licenses; Was: Re: Occurrence Records, with Individuals and Identifications

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 01:41:17 CEST 2010

I recommend reading [1], especially the section "Scientific Literature
and Copyrights." (Disclosure: I am a Director of Plazi Verein).  Now:

- Creative Commons licenses apply only to works that are copyrightable [2].
- CC0 and its relative PDM [3] are not licenses. CC calls them "tools"
 [4], but both still apply only to "works" in the sense of the Berne
Convention. ("work" is discussed in [1] ).
- My central point is about your assertion of rights on an Occurrence.
I doubt there are any rights of any kind to the Boleria selense
Occurrence on which you assert cc:license---certainly not copyrights,
because that Occurrence is a putative fact of nature, not a creative
expression on your part.

There's more room for application of copyright to the document itself,
though that will still hinge on whether it is a "work" in the sense of
the Berne Convention.

None of this applies to the photograph, for which you(?) have argued
is neither the Occurrence, nor the Taxon. Probably most would argue
that the photograph is  copyrightable, though I find that a bit
disappointing in the sense that the scientifically most useful images
might be the least creative, but rather the most faithful to the
appearance of the organism.

In RDF comprising taxon descriptions generated by plazi [5] and
harvested by EoL, we address this all explicitly for the case of taxon
descriptions. We assert:
<dcterms:rights >No known copyright restrictions apply</dcterms:rights>

--Bob Morris

[1] Egloff and Agosti, Taxonomic information exchange and copyright:
the Plazi approach, BMC Research Notes 2009,
2:53doi:10.1186/1756-0500-2-53
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/2/53
[2] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Before_Licensing
[3] http://wiki.creativecommons.org/PDM_FAQ