[tdwg-content] Data Licenses; Was: Re: Occurrence Records, with Individuals and Identifications

Peter DeVries pete.devries at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 23:59:38 CEST 2010

Hi Bob,

I need to think about this a little more, but these are records that I had
previously exposed on GeoSpecies as cc with attribution., so they were a
change.

Also they include a photograph as supporting evidence, see foaf:depiction.

These were mainly done to create examples that showed an Occurrence,
Individual, Identification and used the ietf proposal for an "Area" geo e.g.

"geo:44.86528100,-87.23147800;u=10".

The example creates these in one RDF file, but assertions etc. can be made
about these individual entities as if they were separate things.

I think most data sets will probably need some sort of license that allows
them to be used but with some sort of attribution.

I would be interested in hearing people's opinion on what they would
recommend.

Also these records were created for purposes of the discussion, there are
some other aspects that I will probably change in the future.

Below is the actual RDF for the #Occurrence element.

<txn:Occurrence rdf:about="
http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9#Occurrence
">
  <dcterms:title>Boloria selene Occurrence Shivering Sands Natural Area
Woods 2005-07-24/2005-07-24</dcterms:title>
  <dcterms:isPartOf rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/void#this"/>
  <dcterms:identifier>
http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9#Occurrence
</dcterms:identifier>
  <cc:license rdf:resource="http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/"/>
  <cc:attributionURL rdf:resource="http://lod.taxonconcept.org"/>
  <cc:attributionName>Peter J. DeVries</cc:attributionName>
  <cc:morePermissions rdf:resource="http://about.geospecies.org/projects/"/>
  <dcterms:created>2010-10-21T00:00:00-0500</dcterms:created>
  <dcterms:modified>2010-10-22T00:10:51-0500</dcterms:modified>
  <txn:occurrenceHasSpeciesOccurrenceTag rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/ICmLC#Occurrence"/>
  <txn:occurrenceHasSpeciesConcept rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/ICmLC#Species"/>
  <txn:occurrenceHasIndividual rdf:resource="
http://ocs.taxonconcept.org/ocs/f522444a-2dd9-400e-be59-47213ef38cb9#Individual
"/>
  <txn:hasScientificName>Boloria selene</txn:hasScientificName>
  <txn:continent>North America</txn:continent>
  <txn:countryCode>US</txn:countryCode>
  <txn:country>United States</txn:country>
  <txn:stateProvince>Wisconsin</txn:stateProvince>
  <txn:county>Door</txn:county>
  <txn:localityText>Town of Sevastopol</txn:localityText>
  <txn:locationName>Shivering Sands Natural Area Woods</txn:locationName>
  <txn:occurrenceHasArea rdf:resource="geo:44.86528100,-87.23147800;u=10"/>
  <geo:lat>44.86528100</geo:lat>
  <geo:long>-87.23147800</geo:long>
  <txn:georeferenceProtocol rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#GeoProtocol_GPS"/>
  <txn:georeferenceVerificationStatus rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#GeoVerifiedByCollector"/>
  <txn:occurrenceInContinent rdf:resource="http://sws.geonames.org/6255149/
"/>
  <txn:occurrenceInStateProvince rdf:resource="
http://sws.geonames.org/5279468/"/>
  <txn:occurrenceInCounty rdf:resource="http://sws.geonames.org/5250768/"/>
  <!-- The dates should be refactored into a standard date vocabulary -->
  <txn:startDate>2005-07-24</txn:startDate>
  <txn:endDate>2005-07-24</txn:endDate>
  <txn:samplingProtocol rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#SamplingProtocol_IndividualObservation
"/>
  <!-- collector and identified by should be foaf:Person -->
  <txn:collector rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/people.owl#Peter_J_DeVries"/>
  <txn:identifiedBy rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/people.owl#Kyle_E_Johnson"/>
  <!-- identificationDate should have a standard type for year -->
  <txn:identificationDate>2008</txn:identificationDate>
  <txn:identifiedAs rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ses/ICmLC#Species"/>
  <!-- The literals below should be replaced with URI's -->
  <txn:institutionCode>IRCW</txn:institutionCode>
  <txn:collectionCode>PJDPO</txn:collectionCode>
  <txn:catalogCode>PJDPO000179</txn:catalogCode>
  <txn:individualStatus rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#IndividualStatus_Unknown"/>
  <txn:basisOfRecord rdf:resource="
http://lod.taxonconcept.org/ontology/txn.owl#BasisOfRecord_StillImage"/>