[tdwg-content] Use of TCS [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 00:05:29 CET 2010

As  people probably have seen in other mailing lists, the group
commissioned by GBIF to advise it on its approaches to Knowledge
Organization Systems today released its draft report for public
comment. ( http://bit.ly/GBIFKOS_Comments on community.gbif.org and
also has a link to the draft). Among the recommendations are some that
GBIF get involved in some of these kinds of issues, sometimes
specifically, sometimes generally. Several are recommendation that
GBIF spur some joint TDWG/GBIF Task Groups for addressing specific
issues. It would be great if people commented whether this particular
question is addressed in the recommendations, and whether the problems
giving rise to it are adequately explained. Alas, there is only two
weeks time for comments to be considered for inclusion in the final
report, but the comment site will remain open for ongoing
contribution, and available for GBIF's  consideration while they
consider and hopefully act on the report.

You will see in the report faint echos of the last few months of the
discussions here. That's not an accident.

The recommendations, especially the shorter ones, are written as
though you've read the whole report, which is nominally 32 pages, but
in fact has very wide margins and several pages of graphs and
appendices.

--Bob

--
Robert A. Morris