[tdwg-content] Comments on Cam's RDF practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 05:40:56 CET 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>wrote:

>  This is mostly over my head, but I do have a more general question along
> these lines:
>
> To what extent are we likely to be implementing substantive machine
> reasoning for Agents within the context of biodiversity informatics?  I can
> see some value in terms of de-duplication of literature citations, and maybe
> a few other things here and there such as copyright ownership.  But I take
> the absence of an Agent class within DwC as an indication that our community
> does not have as much a need for semantic reasoning for Agents (compared to,
> say, taxa and localities, among others).
>
> If I'm missing something here, I'd very much like to be informed.
>
> Aloha,
> Rich

My words "be wary of" were chosen intentionally. I do not mean "do not use
in any circumstances".  The following are roughly true:

 It's not that hard to come up with an arguably important use cases for
reasoning on agents.  For example, deciding whether two observation or
specimen data records represent distinct or the same Occurrence can
hinge---with enough agreement on other values---on deciding whether the
observers are the same or different people.  Herbarium duplicate  sheets
often  suffer inconsistent misspellings of collector names due to data entry
errors.

Including an intractable ontology in an otherwise tractable one can poison
the latter.

[1] - [3] show that there are plenty of ways out of the  current, not very
deep, reasoning weaknesses that FOAF shares with many "OWL Full"
ontologies.  The risk is mainly in getting on board the wrong train of the
many. For example, one way favors huge data but requires small class
hierarchies, and another the reverse. It's not hard to imagine biodiversity
data models that demand both large class hierarchies and large data.
Homegrown hybrids might be possible, but then might require homegrown tools,
etc. etc.

[3] is particularly interesting and probably readable with just a little
exposure to formal ontologies, especially if you pretend that the acronyms
and other stuff you don't understand don't matter very much to getting the
big picture.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-owl2-profiles-20081202/#Introduction
[2] http://www.semanticoverflow.com/questions/1210/owl-full-and-reasoning
[3] Edward Thomas et al.  Lightweight Reasoning and the Web of Data for Web
Science, Web Science Conf. 2010, April 26-27, 2010, Raleigh, NC, USA
http://journal.webscience.org/319/

Bob Morris

Robert A. Morris
Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science