[tdwg-content] Comments on Cam's RDF practical details of recording a determination What is an Occurrence? [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Bob Morris morris.bob at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 05:55:52 CET 2010

If machine reasoning is a goal, I would be wary of FOAF.  An OWL2-DL, or
other OWL2 tractable reasoning profile, version remains a moving target, to
the best of my knowledge.  The reasons that http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/ is
not subject to tractable reasoning are relatively manageable, but I can no
longer find the Zimmerman proposal for a FOAF DL version referenced in the
thread ending at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2010Jul/0378.html

Can someone point me at a DL version of FOAF and indication that it is
actively under discussion somewhere?

Thanks

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>wrote:

> I was thoroughly delighted to learn recently that FOAF uses terms in almost
> exactly the same way that I had structured my "Agents" data (right down to
> the same exat terms, in most cases).  I plan to move forward with the FOAF
> terms that are relevant (thanks to John W. for pointing this out to me at
> TDWG).
>
> Rich

Robert A. Morris
Emeritus Professor  of Computer Science