[tdwg-content] Any RDF example? Is this what the standard authors intended?

Paul.Alexander at csiro.au Paul.Alexander at csiro.au
Wed Jan 13 06:02:36 CET 2010

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your example.

I'm confused by the example's use of dcterms:identifier mainly because I understand that Identifier should point to the resource being described (resource from Dublin Core point of view).

My interpretation of DublinCore is that title and publisher describe the resource if it is specifically referenced, i.e. the resource is pointed to by dcterms:identifier (An unambiguous reference to the resource within a given context.)

On the other hand if the rdf:Description is pointing to the resource being described, then some alternatives to dcterms:identifier would be dcterms:References, dcterms:Abstract or dcterms:Source. Each indicate we are pointing to a resource that is associated in some way with the rdf:Description resource.

One possibility is to discard dcterms:Identifier, so dcterms:title will not be specifically tied to a resource outside its own namespace and will therefore be associated with its containing element i.e. rdf:Description.

I clicked through the various parts via uriburner, viewed the source code, looked at the dcterms:Title of each of the RDF files in the example, and re-read the posts on 23 and 24 December but I don't get it. I will have a more thorough look at Darwin Core.

Perhaps it would help my understanding if you could put the files dcterms:titled: Pedilus serratus, Bufo americanus and Shivering Sands Natural Area Beach into context.

Thank you in advance.

Paul