[Tdwg-obs] On observation definition / moving forward

Denis Lepage dlepage at bsc-eoc.org
Thu Feb 9 19:09:27 CET 2006

I am in support of the suggested "group of organism", rather than "set".

I don't believe the second sentence means exactly the same thing. From a database point of vue, sometimes, a group of organism will be reported as one observation record, eg "10 Common Redpolls". The meaning of the second sentence is that observations are usually interlinked, eg, the "10 common redpolls and the 5 pine siskins where observed during the same 5 minute sampling period".

I'm also quite happy with the other definitions proposed so far.

Denis

Denis Lepage,  Senior Scientist/Chercheur sénior
National Data Center/Centre national des données
Bird Studies Canada/Études d'Oiseaux Canada
PO Box/B.P. 160, Port Rowan, ON  N0E 1M0
519-586-3531 ext. 225, fax/téléc. 519-586-3532