SDD standard - kinds of description

Bob Allkin ba at ELOGICA.COM.BR
Tue Jul 18 23:56:17 CEST 2000

Kevin
your document makes interesting reading.  Further to my earlier email on
purpose  I see how morphological descriptive data (such as DELTA handles -
which may well be the primary aim) would fit within your described format.

IF your aim were for this format also to serve for:

1) description of distribution (a hierarchical descriptor - with attributes
attached to each substate such as native/introduced/etc)

2) description of use [e.g. taxon- plantpart(eg leaf) - forwhom (eg
children) - forwhat (eg sorethroat) - how (eg infusion)]

3) description of ecology - requiring links between two "descriptors" (eg.
plant A is a tree at altitude X BUT plant A is a bush at altitude Y)

   then Im less clear how these would be accomodated.  Is there elsewhere a
set of descriptor/state structures that I could see?

best wishes

Bob Allkin,
Centro Nordestino de Informações sobre Plantas
SIDT/PNE,  Dep. Botânica, CCB,
Universidade Federal de Pernambuco,
Recife, PE, Brazil  CEP 50.670-420

Home Page : http://www.cnip.org.br