[tdwg] Digitisation Data Lead / Consultant

Pip Brewer pip.brewer at snm.ku.dk
Thu Jul 14 10:48:31 UTC 2022

We are seeking project support (a Data Lead or Data Consultant) to help develop and deploy our IT infrastructure for the Danish Natural History specimen digitization program (DaSSCo). This can be in the form of an official collaboration, consultancy or direct employment on a part-time or full-time basis of limited duration (at least initially). We are also open to solutions which blend off-site working and face-to-face meetings. Our main priority is finding someone who has the skills we need and can integrate easily into the existing team. Our initial needs are focused on:

  *   Implementation of the data architecture needed for the DaSSCo digitization program
  *   Implementation of middleware which stores image metadata and controls access to images
  *   Designing and facilitating implementation of a specimen data refinery
  *   Recommendations on and help to implement solutions for associating Persistent Identifiers with digital data
  *   Documentation of all processes and decisions
  *   Liaison and effective communication with the project team and other stakeholders
The aim of DaSSCo is to digitize all natural history specimens in Denmark through a co-ordinated effort. The first 5 years of this long-term program are being financed by the Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science, where the focus is to set up the infrastructure and workflows and to start mass digitization efforts. The program officially started on 1st September 2021 and we will be commencing digitization itself at the start of 2023. As the program is already underway, we are looking for the Data Lead or Data Consultant to start as soon as possible.

You should have experience with software development and programming, preferably in Python, and you should be a proficient Linux / Unix users, preferably with experience with administration of such systems.

We would love to chat further if you or someone from your team, has the relevant skills and experience and would be interested in working with us. You can contact the DaSSCo team directly by emailing Pip Brewer (pip.brewer at snm.ku.dk<mailto:pip.brewer at snm.ku.dk>) and Kim Steenstrup Pedersen (kimstp at di.ku.dk<mailto:kimstp at di.ku.dk>).

Pip Brewer
DaSSCo Project Leader

University of Copenhagen
Natural History Museum of Denmark