[tdwg] survey on research priorities about pathogen spill-over

Wouter Addink wouter.addink at naturalis.nl
Fri May 29 15:06:44 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I forward you this message from the  *CETAF-DiSSCo COVID-19 Task Force.*
Apologies for cross-posting.

Kind regards,
Wouter Addink

Dear Colleague

We are writing on behalf of a COVID Task Force, a CETAF-DiSSCo joint action
(CETAF = Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities, https://cetaf.org/;
DiSSCo = Distributed System of Scientific Collections,
https://www.dissco.eu/).

As a group of researchers working in different fields, we recently
established a COVID Task Force, with the aim to help clarify the links
between biodiversity, human pressure and the origin and causes of
coronaviruses and similar disease spill-over, as well as to identify the
actions that should be put in place to complement the efforts made in other
disciplines. This effort is equally important to anticipate and prevent the
occurrence and propagation of zoonotic infectious diseases worldwide.

One of the first tangible actions we want to pursue is a horizon scanning
exercise among stakeholders to identify priority questions that scientists
should explore to reach a better understanding of pathogen origins,
spill-over processes and their ecological correlates.

The answers to these questions are needed to clarify the role that certain
animal species play with respect to the pandemics such as the current one,
and the environmental conditions that may facilitate these phenomena, from
wildlife trade and consumption to habitat loss or degradation. We aim to
publish, in the peer-reviewed literature, a list of questions that would
form the basis to steer future research work.

Given your expertise in the field, we would be most grateful if you
could *supply
questions that you see as priorities* for research funding. The form has
space for up to twenty questions but feel free to send as many as deemed
important. Many thanks in advance for your important contribution.

Participation in the survey is on voluntary base and you are not obliged to
answer all the questions. Your answers to the survey will be treated
anonymously. The contribution of respondents will be acknowledged in the
publication only if you leave your name.

We would also greatly appreciate if you could circulate this message to
colleagues who you think might be interested. We apologise in advance for
any cross-posting.

This is the link to the Google form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfh7ZEPY60o0pByqYuoVtCt_eyeo6ikDXrNLWdoFPdyI2oEtQ/viewform

Best regards

For the CETAF-DiSSCo COVID Task Force

prof. Danilo Russo, University of Naples Federico II, Italy

prof. Sandro Bertolino, University of Turin, Italy

prof. Maarten Vanhove, Hasselt University, Belgium

Dr. Séverine Thys, Ghent University, Belgium