[tdwg] Mini workshop: Building Next-Generation Data Infrastructure for Plant Phenology

Stan Blum stanblum at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 23:13:52 UTC 2020

Mini workshop: Building Next-Generation Data Infrastructure for Plant
Phenology

Workshop overview

What new software tools would you like to see for plant phenological data
and research?  Are there data resources you wish you could access or use
but are not sure how (or that don’t even exist yet)?  What frontiers in
phenological research could new data and software support?

Our team[1] has been developing methods and tools for integrating,
mobilizing, and analyzing plant phenological data, such as the Plant
Phenology Ontology <https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.00517> and a prototype
data portal <https://plantphenology.org/> that integrates various in-situ
and historical datasets from around the globe.  We are also investigating
methods for generating and integrating new phenological data from digital
herbarium records and community scientists’ photographs from BudBurst
<https://budburst.org/> and iNaturalist <https://www.inaturalist.org/>.
Now, we would value your thoughts about 1) how to make plant phenological
data more accessible and easier to use; 2) which high-value phenological
datasets are still missing; 3) what kinds of analyses you wish you could do
with phenological data; and 4) what barriers are limiting large-scale plant
phenological research.

We will be hosting a virtual, 90-minute, mini-workshop on Wednesday, June
17, from 3:00-4:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time (see in your local time
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Phenology+mini-workshop&iso=20200617T15&p1=2132&ah=1&am=30>),
and we would love to hear what you think about these issues.  Your feedback
will help guide efforts to develop a next generation of phenological data
and tools.  We welcome participants from outside of North America, too, and
we recognize that 3:00 PM in the eastern U.S. might not be a great time for
researchers from other continents.  Therefore, if we have sufficient
international registrants, we will hold one or more additional workshops at
alternative times to better accommodate work schedules in other parts of
the world.  Even if you cannot attend the virtual workshop but you would
still like to share your thoughts with us, you can instead choose to
complete a brief survey to let us know what you think.  So, if these issues
are of interest to you, please complete the short registration form and get
in touch!

Afterwards, we will generate a report summarizing the results of the
workshop and share it with all participants.

Registration

To register for the workshop or to let us know you’d like to complete a
brief survey instead, please fill out the short registration form:
https://forms.gle/tCy7eSQq33KjyuMF6.

Tentative agenda

Date: Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Time: 3:00-4:30 PM EDT (2:00 PM CDT, 1:00 PM MDT, 12:00 PM PDT, see in your
local time
<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Phenology+mini-workshop&iso=20200617T15&p1=2132&ah=1&am=30>
)

3:00 PM

Introductory remarks, workshop overview and scope.

3:10 PM

Current landscape of plant phenological data, tools, and use cases; survey
interests of attendees.

3:40

Breakout group session 1: Discuss key issues in small groups of no more
than six participants.

3:00

Breakout group session 2.

4:20 PM

Reconvene as a full group, wrap up.

[1]   Brian Stucky, Rob Guralnick and Daijiang Li (Florida Museum of
Natural History); Ramona Walls (University of Arizona); Ellen Denny (USA
National Phenology Network); John Deck (Biocode, LLC); Jennifer Schwarz and
Taran Lichtenberger (Chicago Botanic Garden); Carrie Seltzer (iNaturalist)