[tdwg] DwC Hour: Making DNA and tissue collections available

Motz, Gary garymotz at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 17 13:13:28 UTC 2018

Welcome to our first Darwin Core Hour of 2018! Making DNA and tissue collections available by using the GGBN extensions with IPT

Date: Wednesday, 21 February 2018

Time: 5 PM CET, 11 AM EST, 1 PM Buenos Aires

Where: https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/room

In this Darwin Core hour we will give a brief overview about the Global Genome Biodiversity Network (GGBN) and the GGBN Data Standard. This standard covers facts about DNA and tissue samples and complements Darwin Core and ABCD. It can be used with both and is not a stand-alone solution. GGBN is dedicated to DNA and tissue collections and makes use of the GBIF infrastructure to reference to the underlying specimens. We will demonstrate how to use the GGBN extensions with IPT in detail and how it finally looks like in the GGBN Data Portal. Today more than 400,000 DNA and tissue samples and 200,000 voucher specimens are available through the GGBN portal. Specify has now included an automated export for the GGBN extensions in its latest release. But many others partners also have started to implement the standard into their systems (e.g. Arctos) and more than 1.7 million new sample records will be made available in 2018.

Presenters: Gabriela Dröge, Research Group Biodiversity Informatics, Coordinator, DNA-Bank Network, Berlin Botanic Garden and Botanic Museum Berlin and Katherine Barker, Program Manager, Global Genome Initiative and Global Genome Biodiversity Network, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution

Moderators: Katharine Barker, Deborah Paul

Relevant links

Technical requirements page: http://wiki.ggbn.org/ggbn/IT_requirements

Main GGBN site: http://www.ggbn.org/ggbn_portal/

GGBN Data Portal publication: https://academic.oup.com/nar/article/42/D1/D607/1068053

2017 Darwin Core Hour Webinars<https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki/Webinars>

Submit your question<http://bit.ly/dwchour-input>

Contribute an answer<https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/issues> - please share your expertise and experience!

See questions-answered-so-far<https://github.com/tdwg/dwc-qa/wiki> on the Darwin Core Q & A site

Start Date:
Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 11:00am to 12:00pm EST
Location:
Berlin, Germany and the Smithsonian
AdobeConnect URL:
https://idigbio.adobeconnect.com/room