[tdwg] DC-2014 Special Session: RDF Application Profiles and Tools for Metadata Validation and Quality Control

DCMI Announce announce at dublincore.net
Thu Aug 21 23:32:04 CEST 2014

***Please excuse the cross-posting***

RDF Application Profiles and Tools for Metadata Validation and Quality
Control
*Half-day Special Session @ DC-2014*
*Thursday, 9 October 2014 - 1:30-5:00*

*LOCATION:* Austin, Texas, USA
*VENUE:* AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center (
http://www.meetattexas.com/)
*SESSION HOMEPAGE: *
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/index/pages/view/rdfAP
*CONFERENCE WEBSITE:* http://purl.org/dcevents/dc-2014
*REGISTRATION: *
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/registration-2014
 *(Thursday day-rate option available)*

*Session Abstract: *

This session will focus on establishing requirements for implementing
Application Profiles from the perspective of software developers. In
particular, our interests include the requirements necessary for performing
validation and quality checks within tools, and the extent to which
established and developing constraint languages remain valuable in our
context.

*Scope and Motivation: *

Over the last fourteen years, the DCMI community has focused much of its
efforts on the development of Application Profiles as a means to enable
reuse of properties across multiple schemas, as well as constraint
languages to express those profiles. Building on the DC-2013 special
session Application Profiles as an Alternative to OWL Ontologies
<http://dcevents.dublincore.org/IntConf/index/pages/view/APaltOO>, this
session will explore the requirements for defining and implementing
Application Profiles from the perspective of software developers and other
implementers. In particular, our session will focus on the requirements
necessary for performing validation and quality checks within tools, and
the extent to which established and developing constraint languages, such
as Description Set Profiles and Shape Expressions/RDF Data Shapes, remain
valuable in our context.

*Confirmed Panelists:*

   - Mark Matienzo (mark at matienzo.org), DPLA, USA (Facilitator)
   - Kevin Ford, Library of Congress, USA
   - Thomas Johnson, Oregon State University, USA
   - Eric Miller, Zepheira, USA
   - David Wood, 3 Round Stones, USA

*Open Questions Guiding the Session:*

   1. How can Application Profile-based validation provide meaningful
   feedback to a user editing a "record" or set of statements?
   2. From the perspective of an implementor, what do we mean by
   "validation," and does this mean different things from the perspective of
   implementers building user-facing tools or automated systems to perform
   these checks?
   3. How are existing constraint languages valuable to implementers,
   particularly if the tools we are building cannot interpret or act on them
   natively?
   4. Should we prioritize developing tools that can interpret serialized
   constraint definitions, or ensuring that our tools and systems can
   serialize their constraints into one of these languages?

*Special Session Sponsors:*

   - Digital Public Library of America (DPLA)
   - DCMI Technical Board

You can register using the day-rate option to DC-2014 or join us for the
full DC-2014 program at
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/registration-2014
.

Don't procrastinate, register now! The Conference discount hotel block rate
at the AT&T Center ends 12 September. This Special Session and DC-2014
Conference cap the second week of the Austin City Limits Music Festival (
http://www.aclfestival.com/) and hotel rooms will become increasingly
scarce as the Conference dates approaches.

Mark Matienzo
   *Director of Technology, DPLA*