[tdwg] FW: [Taxacom] Biodiversity Informatics Survey for VertNet, Participation Requested

Lee Belbin leebel at netspace.net.au
Mon May 11 04:58:36 CEST 2009

And another survey...

Lee Belbin
TDWG Secretariat

-----Original Message-----
From: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
[mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] On Behalf Of Heather Constable
Sent: Saturday, 9 May 2009 10:29 AM
To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Subject: [Taxacom] Biodiversity Informatics Survey for VertNet,
Participation Requested

Hello,

Your feedback can help guide biodiversity informatics development.  We are
conducting a survey on potential tools and data sets to incorporate into the
search portals of the MaNIS <http://manisnet.org/>,
HerpNET<http://www.herpnet.org/>,
ORNIS <http://olla.berkeley.edu/ornisnet/> and FishNet
II<http://www.fishnet2.net/index.html>distributed database networks
for natural history collections.
Specifically, we would like to build tools that benefit users and publishers
of biodiversity data.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.  Please take a few minutes to complete
this survey: http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=1229513

Here <http://68.111.46.217/pres/PresentationServlet?action=home> is a demo
portal serving MaNIS, HerpNET, ORNIS and FishNet II data through into a
single VertNet search portal, in its current form.  The survey does not
specifically critique the functions of the this portals, but it may help to
imagine the exciting potential for mapping, visualization and validation
tools.

Results will be posted on the VertNet website:
http://vertnet.org<http://vertnet.org/index.php>/
VertNet is a collaboration between the National Biological Infrastructure (
NBII <http://www.nbii.gov/portal/server.pt>), the Museum of Vertebrate
Zoology at the University of California, Berkeley
(MVZ<http://mvz.berkeley.edu/>),
University of Kansas Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center
(KUNHM <http://www.nhm.ku.edu/>), Tulane University Museum of Natural
History (TU <http://www.museum.tulane.edu/>), Harvard University Museum of
Comparative Zoology (MCZ <http://www.mcz.harvard.edu/>), University of
Colorado Museum (UCM) <http://cumuseum.colorado.edu/>, Field Museum
(FMNH<http://www.fieldmuseum.org/>)
and the American Museum of Natural History (AMNH <http://www.amnh.org/>)
with over 100 other participating institutions.

Apologies for cross postings.
--
Heather Constable
VertNet Coordinator