[tdwg] copyright, creative commons licences, etc.

Gail Kampmeier gkamp at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 14 15:25:31 CEST 2007

I think these are really important issues and I hope they will have
discussion time at the upcoming meeting in Bratislava.  --Gail

>Actually, here is an interesting article in yesterdays press.co.nz regarding
>open access
>http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepress/4199988a12935.html
>

>An information revolution
>
>The Press | Thursday, 13 September 2007
>
>New Zealand scientists need to get aboard the coming revolution in
>information access, writes DAVID PENMAN.
>
>Social networking, data modelling, real-time measurement, broadband and so
>on are all bound in the internet age.
>It is somewhat ironic that the internet was conceived as a means to share
>scientific data, yet it is now an enormous vehicle for social change and
>commercial benefit. Somehow, the scientists have become the laggards in
>sharing information, yet there are enormous benefits that can come from a
>greater sharing of data.
>We see public sharing of financial data - the stock market, the exchange
>rate and interest rates - yet we see little evidence of open sharing of
>other information that affects our lives.
>ECan has some pilot projects in real-time monitoring of water resources that
>water users and communities can access. Wouldn't it be fantastic to roll out
>such a system across Canterbury and make the information freely and openly
>available to all? Can we not envisage information on water use, water
>quality, greenhouse gas emissions, public transport use, air quality, waste
>generation etc being available on television, the internet or even in
>Cathedral Square? Is this the sort of information we need to change our
>behaviour in the drive for sustainability?
>Why can't we just do it, then? We require an information infrastructure. We
>can now share data at least among research active institutions through
>Karen, the "big pipe" broadband; we can store vast amounts of data in
>networked servers and now in the new IBM supercomputer "Blue Fern" at the
>University of Canterbury; we can model and visualise current states and
>future scenarios; and the technology to do real-time measurements is
>becoming available. Right now, most information is accessed from so-called
>legacy data. The next revolution will be real-time data collection and
>access.
>So we have most of the bits; we just need the resources and the will to
>bring the pieces together. From this platform, new businesses will emerge
>and communities will become engaged with the regulators (the councils), the
>scientists, and businesses.
>No longer will officials be able to hide behind the lack of resources to
>measure use and change. We will have scientific evidence of what change
>might look like before decisions are taken, and we will become more involved
>as citizens in a civil society with what our politicians and officials are
>doing.
>Yes, we will take ownership of information about us, our communities and the
>impacts of our activities. Because we can "own" and visualise information we
> [...]

=====
When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to
everything else in the Universe"      --John Muir

Gail E. Kampmeier
Senior Research Entomologist
Illinois Natural History Survey,
Box 5 NSRC, MC-637