[tdwg] Interesting example of tree navigation

Rebecca Shapley rebecca at akodon.com
Fri Sep 14 04:45:19 CEST 2007

Yes, it's a degree of interest interaction. There have been various attempts
to implement this DOI idea since it came out, and I'm pointing to this one
as a rather novel implementation, that may overcome some of the usability
issues seen with hyperbolic trees, etc.

I would definitely test its usability with a taxonomic tree data set and
some "normal folk" before advocating it as the ultimate solution for an EOL
project. Denise Green and I did these types of usability tests on three
interactive tree presentations available in 2005, providing something of a
baseline against which this particular interaction style might be judged.
See:
http://groups.sims.berkeley.edu/TOL/docs/GreenShapleyTOLFinalReport.pdf  (4
MB)

-R.