[tdwg] Species pages and video

Emery, Rob remery at agric.wa.gov.au
Wed Aug 29 04:36:56 CEST 2007

Hello Everyone,

More and more we are using very high quality auto montage stills to
provide diagnostic images with almost unlimited depth of field e.g.
http://www.padil.gov.au/viewPestDiagnosticImages.aspx?id=677

It only occurred to us recently when presenting to farmers that these
images, while spectacular, are not much use in helping them identify
farm pests by eye or with a hand lens.

We decided to take video of the pests because it gives farmers a better
idea of what they are looking for.  The movement of the insects can help
distinguish them as can a backdrop of the environment where they are
likely to be found.

We have now incorporated mpeg video into a number of our database-driven
species profile pages.  One of the links below has the video pop up in
the player and the other should run embedded in the web page.

The range of stored grain protectants in Australia have varying efficacy
against species so we expect farmers to be able to perform some
rudimentary identification when deciding on a treatment.

We recently uploaded these videos to YouTube because... well... we
could.

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/ento/agird/pestweb/Query1_1.idc?ID=-991
113051

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/ento/pestweb/Query1_1.idc?ID=904621453

Regards,

Rob

Rob Emery (Mr)
(Senior Entomologist)

ph: 61 8 9368 3247
Fax: 61 8 9368 3223
Mob: 0404 819 601

<mailto:remery at agric.wa.gov.au>
<http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/ento>
Department of Agriculture and Food Western Australia

3 Baron-Hay Court,     _-_|\
South Perth, 6151     /     \
Western Australia --> \_.-._/

This e-mail and files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information
intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is
not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you received this
e-mail in error you must
(a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it;
(b) please notify the Department of Agriculture and Food, WA immediately by return e-mail to the sender;
(c) please delete the original e-mail.

This email has been successfully scanned by
McAfee Anti-Virus software.
Department of Agriculture and Food WA