Standards for date / time values?

Patricia Koleff Osorio pkoleff at XOLO.CONABIO.GOB.MX
Fri Feb 24 10:01:54 CET 2006

We should be clear on format for Early and Latest CollectionDate, meaning
to store data as DDMMYYYY
There are some old specimens missing the day or even the month (and only
have years, and even not the complete year, only the like 79)
I think that time hour should be another field, noting that must be refered
to the locality
Regards
Patricia Koleff

At 12:00 a.m. 24/02/2006 -1000, Richard Pyle wrote:
>RE: CollectingDatesInterpreted
>When would this field *not* be set to true?  In other words, what is the
>threshold for "interpreted", in terms of populating EarliestCollectingDate
>and LatestCollectingDate?
>
>At one extreme, we have a VerbatimDateTime of "12 January 2005, 13:34:15
>local time".  Not a lot of interpretation needed there (other than
>conversion of original documentation format to ASCII/Unicode, and
>interpretation of the time zone from the locality data).  But conversion of
>"12 January 2005" to
>
>EarliestCollectingDate: "2005-01-12 00:00:00"
>LatestCollectingDate: "2005-01-12 23:59:59"
>
>...requires a bit of interpretation. Maybe the time portion could simply be
>omitted; but even still, there is technically *some* interpretation when
>converting "January" to "01".
>
>And the spectrum continues on from there up until, well, stuff that would be
>unambiguously flagged as "interpreted".
>
>My point is, there should be some sort of guideline as to when to set
>CollectingDatesInterpreted true; i.e., what threshold of interpretation
>triggers that field. If such a guideline already exists, then I apologize
>for missing it.
>
>Personally, I don't think CollectingDatesInterpreted is necessary, really,
>because I have always regarded my equivalents of EarliestCollectingDate and
>LatestCollectingDate as interpreted.
>
>RE: Lynn's examples below.
>I wrestled with these issues (and more) a number of years ago.  Other
>examples include "Summer; year unknown" (important for seasonal species),
>and multiple (non-contiguous) date ranges: "May or August, 2004" -- among
>others.
>
>In addition to the equivalents of VerbatimDateTime, EarliestCollectingDate,
>LatestCollectingDate; I had a controlled-vocabulary field called
>"DateRangeQualifier", which had an enumerated list of options tied to
>interpretation logic (e.g., "continuous range", "discontinuous range",
>"unknown point", "either/or", etc.; as well as sub-range qualifiers like
>"Summer"). I modelled it after an analogous field I use for interpreting
>paired or multiple georef coordinates (e.g., "transect" vs. "bounding box";
>"polygon" vs. "linear"). This DateRangeQualifier approach ended up being too
>cumbersome to implement -- only because I was too lazy, and the number of
>cases that benefited from it (i.e., allowed computer logic to be applied,
>independent of a human reading of the VerbatimDateTime value) was low.
>
>The three fields
>VerbatimDateTime/EarliestCollectingDate/LatestCollectingDate will give you
>90% of the value 90% of the time (at least for the specimen/observation data
>that I deal with). I wonder if DWC really needs more precision capability
>than that....
>
>Rich
>
>Richard L. Pyle, PhD
>Database Coordinator for Natural Sciences
> [...]

Dra. Patricia Koleff
Directora de Análisis y Prioridades
CONABIO
Comisión Nacional para el Conocimiento y Uso de la Biodiversidad
Av. Liga Periferico - Insurgentes Sur 4903
Col. Parques del Pedregal
Delegacion Tlalpan
14010 Mexico, D.F.
MEXICO