TDWG Student Travel Grants

Robert Guralnick Robert.Guralnick at COLORADO.EDU
Fri Aug 27 00:49:51 CEST 2004

Underrepresented student support for October 2004 Meeting of the Taxonomic
Data Working Group (TDWG), Christ Church, NZ and associated workshops.

With the assistance of the U.S. National Science Foundation, we expect to
fund up to $3,000 per student for underrepresented (based on gender,
ethnicity, disability, and geography) undergraduate, graduate and post-
doctoral students working in or proposing biodiversity informatics
projects, to attend the TDWG meetings from October 11 to 18, 2004. See
http://www.tdwg.org/2004meet/TDWG_2004.htm for the meeting program. The
focus of the meeting includes: Biological Collections Data, the proposed
XML Schema for the Structure of Descriptive Data, Taxonomic Names, among
other topics (eg. Spatial Data).

Underrepresented resident students at U.S. institutions are invited to
submit an application describing their studies or research projects in
biology or computer science and a brief paragraph about how they expect
attendance could further their work. We will especially consider
applicants not traditionally included in the taxonomic community.

Application requirements:
- Total narrative should not exceed one page (when formated in 12-point
Times Roman, single spaced text on an 8.5x11" page with 1" margins)
- If relevant, include at most one additional page of references to web
links describing projects in which they participate, and papers on which
they are joint authors.
 - Applications may be accompanied by up to two letters of recommendation
from faculty members or other professionals aware of the projects
described in the narrative and commenting on the student's role and
expected benefit.

Please send documents in PDF format to Dr. Robert Guralnick
(Robert.Guralnick at colorado.edu) by Sept. 15.  Applications will be
evaluated by a committee composed of Dr. Guralnick, Dr. Robert A. Morris
from the University of Massachusetts at Boston, and Annie Simpson at the
National Biological Information Infrastructure.

We expect funding to be available prior to the meeting.  Further details
will be provided to the successful applicants.

Best regards,
Rob Guralnick
Bob Morris
Annie Simpson