[tdwg-tag] [tdwg-rdf: 105] Re: Any TCS users with experiences to report?

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Nov 28 05:33:40 CET 2012

I read Rich's email as quoted in Nico's reply - I think maybe Rich's
post didn't actually go out on the tdwg-tag or RDF group lists.  Rich
mentions that he is swamped and will reply later.  For the moment it may
be helpful to cite an earlier email of Rich's which it took me some time
to dig out of the tdwg-content email list:

http://lists.tdwg.org/pipermail/tdwg-content/2010-October/001703.html

In that post, Rich was responding to a thread that started when I asked
how one would handle a real-life situation (the specimen pictured in
http://images.cyberfloralouisiana.com/images/specimensheets/lsu/0/0/4/28/LSU00000428_l.jpg).
The relevant part begins about half way down the page with "In the web
example given by Steve, we have... ".  In that section, Rich notes that

"Eventually, a third party may be able to deduce (perhaps through a suite of
other, external information) a RelationshipAssertion that maps the TNU
"[Juncus] diffusissimus Buckl. sec L. Urbatsch 2009" to some other, perhaps
published and well-defined taxon concept (of the same or different name).
Also, if there are 100 specimens in the collection that L. Urbatsch
identified as "Juncus diffusissimus Buckl." in 2009, then anchoring all 100
Identification instances to the one TNU, allows all of those specimens to
inherit the mapping of the one "[Juncus] diffusissimus Buckl. sec L.
Urbatsch 2009" TNU instance to some other better-defined taxon concept."

 From that post, I understood that a TNU (a.k.a. "assertion" in Pyle
2004 http://systbio.org/files/phyloinformatics/1.pdf) can be as vague as
an idea that some determiner had in his/her head about how
organism/specimen instances should be mapped to a name.  I think from
what Rich said there that there is the potential that we as metadata
aggregators may at some later point be able to map how that idea in the
determiner's head fits in with a more well-defined (e.g. published)
taxon description which one may choose to call a taxon concept rather
than a TNU.

As so often is the case, I think the problem here boils down to
identifiers and the metadata that we associate with them.  Let's say in
the real-life example above, somebody (we can say GNUB) assigns a
persistent identifier (perhaps a URI constructed from an opaque UUID) to
"Juncus diffusissimus Buckl. sec L. Urbatsch 2009".  We could say with
an rdf:type statement that the resource identified by the URI is a TNU.
We can give that resource a tc:hasName property linking it to the name
which is represented by the string "Juncus diffusissimus Buckl.".  (I'm
not sure what property we use to say that L. Urbatch made the
assertion).  Now let's say that L. Urbatsch publishes a paper describing
in detail her concept of Juncus diffusissimus Buckl.  We can now assign
the resource identified by the URI a tc:accordingTo property whose value
is the DOI of the paper she wrote.  If we want, we can replace the
previous rdf:type statement with different one stating that the resource
is a taxon concept rather than a TNU, or if we believe that all taxon
concepts are also TNUs we can leave the rdf:type statement that we had
before and just add a second one saying that the resource is also of
type taxon concept.

The point I'm trying to make is that as long as this "thing" that we are
variously calling "taxon name usage", "taxon concept", "shallow
taxonomic concept", or "deep taxonomic concept" can be assigned an
identifier, what really matters is the metadata we associate with it,
not really what we call it.  The more metadata that we can connect with
it, either through datatype properties like name strings or object
properties that describe how the "thing" is related to other resources,
the "deeper" the concept.  On the other extreme, we may know nothing
more than the name string.  In that case we could call it a "nominal
concept", but we could still assign it an identifier and maybe with luck
we could associate more metadata with it (make it "deeper") at some
point in the future.

Returning to the original question of the thread (which was about the
utility of TCS), TCS tries to deal with this problem using a thing
called "signatures" (section 17.2, see
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu/pages/TCS-Schema-UserGuide-v1.3.pdf)
which are a somewhat crude attempt to make identifying strings unique by
standardizing their format.  However, TCS was written in 2005-2006.
Since then, the development of DOIs, the TDWG GUID Applicability
Statement standard, and best practices in the Linked Data world have
provided well-established and standardized ways to create persistent and
dereferenciable identifiers.  So there isn't any reason I can see why we
can't use them.

I am going to be bold and say that we already have the minimum tools
required to get started implementing TNUs/TaxonConcepts:
- URI GUIDs (which if one preferred could be UUIDs or  LSIDs -- HTTP
proxied to make Linked Data people happy; see the TDWG GUID
Applicability Statement standard if you don't know how to do this) to
identify the TNU/concepts,
- the two terms tc:hasName and tc:accordingTo (from the TDWG Taxon
Concept ontology) to relate the TNUs/TaxonConcepts to names and sec.
references, and
- some sources for name and publication URI GUIDs.
There are deficiencies all over the place for that last item, but they
can be addressed over time by improving the scope of the relevant
databases and the quality of the metadata provided.  uBio has URIs for
almost every name I've ever looked for.  BHL has a growing collection of
old literature which has been assigned identifiers by  Rod Page's
BioStor, new literature usually has an assigned, dereferenceable proxied
DOI, and one can even make valid URIs from ISBNs of books (although they
aren't resolvable).  I'm not sure how one should address the situation
where the "sec." reference of a TNU is a person and date since there
isn't a standard database of people (as far as I know).  But that could
be remedied.  Ultimately, one could create the kinds of mapping tools
that Nico and Rich are talking about which relate different taxon
concepts/TNUs which have set theory relationships.  Whether that would
be done with RDF, OWL, or something completely different I don't know,
but the basic anchoring of persistent identifiers for the TNU/concepts
to the names and sec. references wouldn't have to wait on that.  We
could also get hung up about what terms to use to express the metadata
describing the basic TNU/name/sec. resources, but there is nothing that
says that metadata can't change or be improved over time.  It's the
identifier that shouldn't change.

Am I wrong about this???

Steve

--
Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
VU Station B 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 343-6707
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu