[tdwg-tag] Any TCS users with experiences to report?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Sat Nov 3 06:58:19 CET 2012

Playing devil's advocate I think there are several issues here:

1. The example you gave of an OGC query illustrates what for me is a major limitation of existing approaches (such as DiGiR and TAPIR), they focus on standardising queries not identifiers. Hence we can query databases in a consistent (if cumbersome) way, but have no easy way to refer to the things (taxa, specimens, etc.) we retrieve. Having stable, reusable, resolvable identifiers would be a step forward.

2. Taxonomic concepts aren't much use unless connected to data. Arguably the most widely used taxonomic database in biodiversity is the NCBI taxonomy database, which has stable identifiers, an API, and taxa that are connected to data (sequences and publications). The GBIF backbone classification is also connected to data (specimens and observations) although its taxon identifiers (like its occurrence ids) aren't terribly stable.

3. I think the standards-first approach tends to put the cart before the horse. I'm not sure it's the lack of standards that is the problem, it's the lack of usable information in taxonomic databases. Apart from NCBI and GBIF, what science can I do with taxonomic databases? What questions do they allow me to ask?

Regards

Rod

Sent from my iPhone