[tdwg-tag] Specimen identifiers

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Feb 24 12:57:43 CET 2012

Dear Gregor,

On 24 Feb 2012, at 11:40, Gregor Hagedorn wrote:

> Perhaps the problem is that there is too little incentive in spending
> one owns resources, or giving finance to relations (sameAs or other).
> So this does not happen. Would the world look less grim if we had such
> incentives? But I guess that is a chicken and egg problem...

I agree there seems little incentive to make the links. My concern is that if we don't invest in these then the promised benefits of RDF, etc. simply won't materialise.

> I disagree about the dois a bit: they make it real easy to find the
> behind-the-paywall article, but of course they make it real hard to
> find an open access version of the same article in a institutional or
> subject repository. I am not too charmed by this anyways, but the doi
> is a brilliant invention by commercial publishers to make it even less
> likely to work.
>
> Otherwise I love dois, of course...

Identity and access are two separate things, and DOIs used by the flagship open access journals (and more recently by BHL). Finding open versions of an article is a separate problem (one which will, of course, be most efficiently done with a service that uses DOIs to identify the article you are looking for).

I think we've a lot to learn from DOIs and the associated infrastructure and services. Imagine if we'd been in charge of creating citation linking for journals... the horror, the horror.

Regards

Rod

> ----
>
> Gregor